Figurative Language

beli16

Are your teachers also obsessed about metaphors, similes, oxymorons, alliterations, synecdoches, metonymys...??

here you can discuss about and ask help !

Let me start with a question....what is the figurative language in "women were curing him"...i know it relates to curing...as if it were a medicine but i dont know what it is!

FIRE AWAY....hehe isnt that fig language?? :D

• 2 weeks later...
Heeey, I am not certain if this is in the right category or not...

I'm analyzing Like Water for Chocolate, and I am wondering if juxtaposition would be the proper term to describe the relation between the passing down of tradition and the passing down of recipes.

Hey there. Juxtaposition is a fairly broad term, it really only means putting two things side by side. Often in english class, I have been thought that juxtaposition has been used to emphasize contrast. For example, if there is a character that has a few minor flaws, these flaws may be emphasized if there is a really saintly character that is also in the work. Thus, by juxtapositioning the two characters it is possible to emphasize one aspect of one of the characters. However, juxtaposition is not limited to this, and you do not have to juxtapose solely characters; you can juxtapose things like events as well. In reference to your specific situation, I am unsure as to what exactly you are wishing to draw from this connection between the passing down of recipes and the passing down of traditions. If you simply wanted to state that the passing down of recipes is a representation of or epitomizes the passing down of traditions, then I would not consider it juxtaposition. However, if by comparing the two you are able to gain some sort of insight that could not be gained by simply analyzing each one individually, then it may be considered juxtaposition. Having read LWFC, I am leaning more towards the belief that it is not exactly juxtaposition, but it really depends on the context of the analysis.

Hope it helps.

• 1 year later...

Heeey, I am not certain if this is in the right category or not...

I'm analyzing Like Water for Chocolate, and I am wondering if juxtaposition would be the proper term to describe the relation between the passing down of tradition and the passing down of recipes.

Juxtaposition would be correct, however it really depends on your teacher's interpretation of the word. My teacher suggested that you use paralell though (I'm doing the same book.

Hope that this helps~~~~~

• 2 weeks later...

Juxtaposition would be correct, however it really depends on your teacher's interpretation of the word. My teacher suggested that you use paralell though (I'm doing the same book.

Sorry for being stupid, but what's the connection between the recipes and the tradition?

Sorry for being stupid, but what's the connection between the recipes and the tradition?

I think it's just that they're both being handed down.

Juxtaposition isn't the right word for this scenario. Juxtaposition means putting 2 things right next to each other in order to highlight the contrast between them. They're linked and happening in parallel, yes, but they're not being juxtaposed against each other.

Isn't it that the traditions and recipes are both being passed down, but in the end one stops and the other continues being passed down, so they are juxtaposed in that aspect, in order to highlight the limited nature and relative weakness of human power compared to the power of emotion, love, and to an extent nature, which lives on and doesn't 'die'. To me that's one of the key messages in the book, and that juxtaposition is one of the ways that Esquivel highlights that message.

• 5 weeks later...