Rascist reactions of swine flu toward mexicans

Aether

So, in the last couple of days T.V, newspapers, radio and internet have been reporting continuously about the development of the swine flu in Mexico. However, one thing that really called my attention is the report of many cases of mexicans in other countries that are going through unrespectful, and sometimes even inhumane treatment in airports mostly. I completely agree that countries should have preventive measures when receiving mexicans in the moment, but there is definitely no need of treating them as inferior or violating basic human rights. So, what do you think? Is it possible to see evidence of rascism in these situations? Isn't it a little contradictory considering that most countries have affirmed that an attitude of empathy and solidarity should be kept?

So, in the last couple of days T.V, newspapers, radio and internet have been reporting continuously about the development of the swine flu in Mexico. However, one thing that really called my attention is the report of many cases of mexicans in other countries that are going through unrespectful, and sometimes even inhumane treatment in airports mostly. I completely agree that countries should have preventive measures when receiving mexicans in the moment, but there is definitely no need of treating them as inferior or violating basic human rights. So, what do you think? Is it possible to see evidence of rascism in these situations? Isn't it a little contradictory considering that most countries have affirmed that an attitude of empathy and solidarity should be kept?

And tourists. Swine flu has probably spread more so because of returning tourists than because of Mexicans visiting each and every country... yet governments turn a blind eye and expect us to be 'responsible' and stay back if we feel 'sick'....

My bio teacher was commending the Mexican government for immediately reporting the situation rather than trying to cover it. Looking back at history, I feel some hope that Mexico did report it to WHO quickly.

I feel like there's no one to blame. If it was going to get transferred to a human, then it would have happened somewhere at some point in time. What really makes me mad is everyone at my school laughing and joking at this. Whenever someone coughs, somebody will say "You have swine flu!" and people will laugh. It's like taking those who have died for granted.

I guess I'm glad that swine flu isn't necessarily deadly. Just need time.

I didn't hear the whole story but I just heard a bit on the news about how caucasian tourists are being discriminated against in China, and similar discrimination occuring in other places as well. It's unfortunate, but whenever there's a 'crisis' there are always some who overreact.

The WHO isn't even sure that swine flu originated in Mexico, as it it could have been carried to the country by a person from any country in the world and then transmitted to the pigs.

I also think that some countries are taking it to the extreme (Egypt was preparing to cull their entire 300,000 pig population, even though they had no reported cases of swine flu in the country).

The WHO isn't even sure that swine flu originated in Mexico, as it it could have been carried to the country by a person from any country in the world and then transmitted to the pigs.

I also think that some countries are taking it to the extreme (Egypt was preparing to cull their entire 300,000 pig population, even though they had no reported cases of swine flu in the country).

The name was wrong, it should have been called something else. It wasn't the pigs fault.

Something even more provocative than the words "swine flu" are "Mexican flu", which is what the virus is being called in Israel. Swine flu is politically incorrect in Israel because pigs are not Kosher. http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasen/spages/1081515.html

"Ultra-Orthodox Deputy Health Minister Yakov Litzman on Monday declared that Israel would call the new potentially deadly disease that has already struck two continents 'Mexico Flu,' rather than 'Swine Flu, as pigs are not kosher.

"We will call it Mexico flu. We won't call it swine flu," Litzman told a news conference on Monday, assuring the Israeli public that authorities were prepared to handle any cases.

Under Jewish dietary laws, pigs are considered unclean and pork is forbidden food, although the non-kosher meat is available in some stores in Israel. "

And of course some people are angry about that as well, so if you really want to be "correct" and unoffensive, call it H1N1.

I think because of the name "swine flu" and the speculation on where it started, undue "blame" is placed on Mexicans. I have a friend who made a very racist comment to me, regarding Mexicans and the "swine flu": "They always said a black man would be president of the United States when pigs fly. Less than 100 days after Obama's inauguration... swine flu."

(comment does not express my opinion at all, and is not meant to be offensive to anyone!)

I think the whole country of Mexico being cast in this negative light right now. And they don't deserve it! The media is mostly to blame in this situation, I think... kinda blowing the whole thing out of proportion and causing undue stress and blaming.

• 3 months later...

I agree that publicity is what caused all this panic about Swine Flu. I mean, the same exact thing happened with Bird Flu, right?

However, on the topic of the Mexicans, I would like to add that governments do not always have direct control over their citizens. Just because the government has promised to remain civil and unprejudiced, does not mean that its citizens will do the same. It is a sad truth. I don't think there ever can be a world without discrimination. The world is just too vast, with so many different cultures and identities, that accepting each other would be near impossible.

However, I do think that proclaiming the virus "Mexican Flu" is overdoing it. That's just plain offensive. They don't even know if it started in Mexico!