I Need Help!

You have to come up with a question/questions, and then you can tell us what your proposed research questions are, and we will tell you if they are good/if they suck and suggest how you could improve on them/make them narrower/better. You actually get marks on the EE for coming up with a good research question,and so other people making one up for you is not fair.

Ok... Are we aloud to do something about our local history??? Like if I wanted to do something about the history of a local theatre in my home town???

A very good tutorial on how to write a History EE: http://turnerfentonib.com/docs/ee/Writing_a_History_EE.pdf

Also, taken from the IBO EE guidelines:

The topic chosen must focus on the human past, be worthy of study, and lend itself to systematic

investigation in line with the published assessment criteria. Essays that focus on events of the last 10

years are not acceptable, as these are regarded as current affairs, not history.

It is not a requirement for the topic to be chosen from the Diploma Programme history course, but it

must be acceptable to the supervisor. It should provide an opportunity for critical analysis of source

material, and not depend on summarizing general secondary sources (such as textbooks and

encyclopedias), as this approach is likely to lead to an essay that is essentially narrative or descriptive.

The topic chosen must be suitable for effective treatment within the 4,000-word limit, so those that cover

many aspects of history, and/or a long time period, are unlikely to produce successful essays. Narrowing

the scope of the essay will help to ensure a clear focus, and will also allow students to demonstrate

detailed and specific historical knowledge, understanding and critical analysis.

I'd personally suggest discussing your idea(s) with a prospective teacher mentor who has had experience with prior history EEs.

I don't take history, so I don't really know much about it. But if you're going to have primary sources, I suppose it is easier to do something local. One girl in my class wanted to write about the usage of sign language throughout history amongst the American Indians, but she had to change since it was to difficult to get sources.

It sounds a bit borad. Maybe you can focus on one event during the war? But as I said, I don't take history, so I don't know the exact procedures for EE.

The problem with all the topics you've mentioned so far is that they are much too narrative. You will end up describing things instead of analysing anything. You need a question that allows you to answer/give your own perspective about something. I don't know much about the invasion of Normandy, my class really glossed over the events of WWII, so I can't really help much. but something like "To what extent was the Allies' view of the invasion of Normandy simply propaganda?" would be more appropriate than "The Allies' view of the invasion of Normandy". But DO NOT use that title, I'm not even sure if it's relevant. Generally titles in the form of "To what extent" is a good start.

Ok I need help picking out a topic!!!! It's history related so I want to do something with WWII or the Renaissance period!!! Does anyone have any suggestions?????

I have two suggestions

"The wider implications of the Second World War in 20th century Europe"

"The impact of renaissance on European culture"

Both are excellent topics, and I'm certain that you will score an A if you choose to do this.

LOL, Joel!

PrincessPink2911, Deissi is being sarcastic. :)

His point is that you can't expect us to give you a research question, let alone on such a broad topic. The only help we can provide you with is when you get your research question and ask for comments about it. Like Viivi said, you get lots of marks just for finding your research question.

Ok I think I have it!! I was talking to a 2nd year girl from school and watching Cinderella at the same time and we came up with "To what extent does the social class system in America effect the develpoment of female characters the Disney movies?"

hm that is kind of interesting but which topic would you write it under history? film? and you should be more specific i think. If you were to go forward with this question, definitely pick a Disney princess or a movie.

Although, the question itself is pretty risky I think... I'm not quite sure how you're going to find resources and things.

Ok so basically you're saying that i need to naroow it down more?? Sorry I'm just trying to make sure I understand what you are saying! LOL

I think Bohemian03 was trying to point out that your question no longer seems to have a clear subject. Did you want to do an Extended Essay in film or history?

As for whether to narrow it down or not, I'd actually do your reseach first and see how many links you draw. Decide how many and which princesses to do after you've worked out how much there is to write about them.