I'm going in grade 8 this September and I think the Ib exam is in November. I am really stressing out how do I prepare for the IB entrance exam?

Bhavya17

I'm starting at my new school Herbert Carnegie next year and I'm going to the high school Alexander Mackenzie. How do I prepare for the pre ib exam? What did you guys use? What kind of questions are there in the math, english and french part? Do you have any websites or subjects I should particularly use to study. On my grade 7 report card I got all E's. My lowest grade in term 2 was 80 and the highest was 98 and in term 1 the lowest grade was 78 and the highest was 97. Can somebody please help me?

On 8/3/2022 at 11:46 AM, Bhavya17 said:

I'm starting at my new school Herbert Carnegie next year and I'm going to the high school Alexander Mackenzie. How do I prepare for the pre ib exam? What did you guys use? What kind of questions are there in the math, english and french part? Do you have any websites or subjects I should particularly use to study. On my grade 7 report card I got all E's. My lowest grade in term 2 was 80 and the highest was 98 and in term 1 the lowest grade was 78 and the highest was 97. Can somebody please help me?

Hey! I am trying to apply to Merivale HS in Ottawa and we have relatively the same grades. For math you should practice the grade 9 pascal on the CEMC website and the PSAT. I don't know how different the tests are going to be for us, but one of my friends got accepted and he said there was no French. The PSAT also helps with english as well.

Edited by imtryingtogetintoib
new information.

On 8/5/2022 at 4:23 PM, b4w3ja said:

Hey! I am trying to apply to Merivale HS in Ottawa and we have relatively the same grades. For math you should practice the grade 9 pascal on the CEMC website and the PSAT. I don't know how different the tests are going to be for us, but one of my friends got accepted and he said there was no French. The PSAT also helps with english as well.

Do you know what kind of math questions there are going to be? Like should I know trigonometry, or slopes?

On 8/5/2022 at 4:23 PM, imtryingtogetintoib said:

Hey! I am trying to apply to Merivale HS in Ottawa and we have relatively the same grades. For math you should practice the grade 9 pascal on the CEMC website and the PSAT. I don't know how different the tests are going to be for us, but one of my friends got accepted and he said there was no French. However, for the english, I am confused myself; I do not know what to study for that part. So if any of us get any information can you please reply back here. Thanks!

i created a thread and a guy who has taken the exam has replied recently so you should ask him there

• 5 months later...
On 8/12/2022 at 2:03 PM, b4w3ja said:

i created a thread and a guy who has taken the exam has replied recently so you should ask him there

Hi, I am also applying to colonel by’s IB program. I don’t know how to calculate average my school does it, but I got a C which lowered my average, but my essay was good(I think). Do you know how the exam will be? I’m kind of nervous ngl. I hope you pass as well to Colonel By S.S. Let me know if you know anything.

thanks, im applying to merivale. i think that khan academy and the canadian curriculum book grade 8 from costco would be the best to study. my math exam is on saturday and one of my friends took it yesterday (wednesday) so ill ask him how it was

22 hours ago, b4w3ja said:

thanks, im applying to merivale. i think that khan academy and the canadian curriculum book grade 8 from costco would be the best to study. my math exam is on saturday and one of my friends took it yesterday (wednesday) so ill ask him how it was

Thank you so much. I didn't know you could do it one different day. Anway Let me know how it goes. 

On 8/3/2022 at 6:46 PM, Bhavya17 said:

Yo! Congrats on getting into Herbert Carnegie and Alexander Mackenzie! You're in for a great experience. To prepare for the pre-IB exam, here's what you can do:

Math: Brush up on your basic math skills like algebra, geometry and trigonometry. Get yourself some practice worksheets or use online resources like Khan Academy or IXL. You can also try solving past papers or sample questions to get an idea of the types of questions that might come up.

English: Read, read, read! Try to read as much as you can, and make a note of new words you come across. Try to use them in your writing and speaking. Focus on improving your writing skills by writing essays and creative pieces, and seek feedback from teachers or peers.

French: Brush up on your basic grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation. Try to practice speaking and writing as much as possible. You can use websites like Duolingo, Rosetta Stone or Babbel to practice.

In terms of your grades, don't worry about the E's on your report card! The pre-IB exam is just one assessment, and your past grades don't determine your future success. Instead, focus on working hard and putting in the effort to do well. Best of luck!