IB ruining my life

Guest Creul

Since ive joined the IB ive found my friends and my self moving apart and ive realised that my social life has died.

Everything in my life seems to be slowing down and stopping and its all happened since i joined the IB. I think this is because H/W has stopped me doing alot of things that i would usauly do and im the only 1 out of my previous friends to go onto do the IB.

Has any one else experienced this? or got any advice for me?

This reminds me of an old joke I heard a while back:

Welcome to IB! Choose two:

1) Social life

2) Sleep

3) Good grades

But anyways, I suppose for most of the weekday, you'll be studying and doing homework. But perhaps for, say, two-three hours on the weekend you could go and have fun with your friends. Watch a movie. Play basketball. You don't have to give up everything by staying home to study.

Obviously, since you and your friends no longer have the same classes, you will grow apart. This is normal. You don't have to give up your social life completely though. I still spend a good amount of time on MSN (too much time, really) chatting to my friends who, unfortunately, are in a different city.

As for hw, learn to prioritize. You can't do all the hw and you'll never 'finish' studying so just do what you think is necessary.

Try to create a schedule that balances your social life with your homework. So, like from 4:00 - 7:00 pm you do homework and then afterwards you can go to the movies with your friends. Although, I don't suggest it. Staying home and studying a little extra would be much more rewarding.

haaa. don't be worried your not alone, in fact i'd say 99% of ib students experience this. (1% is the minority who are able to absorb textbooks at an insane rate and maintain a social life)

it sucks i know, you find that you don't go out as much anymore - heck, your LUCKY if you have time to go out now!, you don't go to parties and fun events because half the time your drowning in homework or assignments.

my advice: suck it up. it's a big sacrifice but don't let it get to you now, your only in 1st year, still try go out every now and just enjoy yourself! you don't want to burn out by the end of 1st year!! but, prepare to sacrifice alot more once 2nd year starts.

my driving force now is: if i get through this now, i'll get to party to my hearts content in uni~

p.s- and also don't be surprised if you get grounded for crappy grades, my parent's recently initiated the she's-not-allowed-to-have-any-form-of-fun-or-any-form-of-social-contact-for-the-rest-of-the-year rule, and it's incredibly lame.

I met all my friends in this school, so we all suffer together. LOL.

I spend a huge amount of time on msn and IBS'ing.

HWs, i barely do. Studying for tests will be done normally 5-6 days before. As everyone said, organizing your time is very important, although, doesnt always work.

And purple, I have heard that joke before and it is so true, only that, i got 3/2of 'good grades' 1/4 of good sleep and 1/4 of social life. If that makes sense :).

*OK, i think im starting to go insane now..sry!*

Aw, that really sucks.

I can't say that I've really gone through it because my school had pre-IB in grades 9 and 10 so I've been with the same people from the very beginning in pre-IB to IB at the end. 90% of my high school friends were IBers like me. But I did grow apart from the ones who dropped out of pre-IB/IB..it's kind of a fact of life, but it's not your fault or theirs.

I don't mean to be blunt, but thats your fault.

I still have a great social life, party, hold a job, get A's and B's in school, manage to get atleast 6 hours of sleep at night, and co-produce and direct the largest student run production in my city. SO I dont think IB is ruining you life.

Utilize your weekends!

I didn't exactly experienced it but I found myself becoming 'too lazy to go out.'

I agree with this one. Whatever I do, it has to be worth my time. Nothing with too much preparation. Egh.

I have developed a mental disorder. I have to have a vocab book, or anything thats easy to carry - when I go out. so just in case something happens I dont spend the night anywhere without spending some time studying. so sad.

It has killed my social life. and I am glad. I was doing nothing before, now actually working towards something.

I don't think it's necessarily just IB that's causing you to grow apart. Friendships subside; it's really a fact of life. And "strong friendships" (god, that sounds corny) really do require mutual commitment, as all relationships do. If your old friends aren't committed, why bother with chasing after them? You just have to move forwards. Don't live in the past so much. There are plenty of new friends to be made in IB! :dash:

I have a great advice! I've secretly been suffering from "deppressions" since i started IB. It's not all about studying, if you feel that you are becoming more and more unsocial. Then take a day that you do just what you want to do. Go out be with your friends, bake a cake or go to the movies. Just don't stay in because it will only hurt you in the end. It's okey if you miss homework or a report once in a while.

"Some of the most successfull persons started from skratch without any good education. If you fail you still have the chance to become great."- Mama

• 2 weeks later...
I don't mean to be blunt, but thats your fault.

I still have a great social life, party, hold a job, get A's and B's in school, manage to get atleast 6 hours of sleep at night, and co-produce and direct the largest student run production in my city. SO I dont think IB is ruining you life.

Utilize your weekends!

Do you have do other extra-curricular activities as well? Sports, music etc?

Do you have do other extra-curricular activities as well? Sports, music etc?

Yeah I agree with Mike...

I reckon my social life and stuff has gotten better since I started IB and I get like 8.5 hours of sleep every night, and still do well in school...

and I do extra-curricular activites~

Edited by raaarrrr

The IB does do this to you to some extent because of the workload. The best thing to do is come up with a timetable which is properly detailed. So like particular hours for particular topics/things until you've satisfied yourself that everything has been slotted in. Then you really can use all the time remaining to do what you want to do without feeling guilty! :)

One plus of the IB is actually that because it's such a long slog, because classes are so small and everybody is in it together, I find there's some sort of 'bonding through hardship' thing. Make lots of new IB friends (you'll end up doing it anyway) and there's no need to drop your old friends entirely-- just accept that if two people make two totally different decisions, they aren't going to be as close as before in terms of time spent. Doesn't mean you have to ditch everybody, though. See it as a new beginning and an opportunity to make new friends alongside the old.