What are the limits to CAS?

HJ:)

You can't get paid for anything you count as CAS.

Other than that, schools set their own restrictions on CAS. Some are more strict than others with what counts and what doesn't. Ask your co-ordinator what limits they have in your school (ours doesn't allow us to get more than 20 hours of CAS from one activity, we can't count driving lessons as CAS and we don't need supervisors evaluations/self-evaluations for activities that we spent less than 5 hours doing).

As long as it isn't beneficial to you in a material way, pretty much any activity you can learn from can count as CAS.

If you want some examples this is the stuff I have been doing.

Action

-track and field

-golf

Creativity

-Theatre Shows (in and out of school)

Service

-Weekly volunteering at an old person's home

and that is pretty much all my CAS plans are for the two years.

It isn't a hard thing to do, but it is a hard thing to get started if you don't participate regularly to begin with.

Of course you can always do over the 50 hours per each. However, from what I know, for the candidates graduating from 2010 onwards, its not that strict anymore? You can go with 50 hours approximately.. its not based only on staring at hours anymore from what I've understood.

They should just remove the program because it's very unfair. Some schools have it easy (like us), and we get CAS for everything. In the end, it's so easy that I haven't had to worry about CAS once during IB. On the other hand, some schools are so strict about CAS that students have to work their ass off for the hours. Not exactly my idea of a good system for evaluation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...