Summer camp? or Internship?

Swifty

Hello! I'm new to this IB Survival forum and I think it's magnificent. I am currently a Junior taking IB and I just got through my IOP...

I was wondering. What people have done in the past (and/or are planning to do) for the summer between their Junior and Senior year.

Whether it was something that was incredibly fun and full of experience or if it's educational and perhaps, MAKES YOUR BRAIN BIGGER :D

I want to know your input thanks!!!! :D:) :) :)

I went to France for a month and took language courses because I'm sitting the French HL exam this year. It helped, my speaking improved a lot.

My classmates have gone for Oxford summer IB courses, which are expensive but provide revision over the summer. You also meet lots of IB studnets from all around the world.

Try do something productive. Because I went to France, I was able to mention that on my university application when I applied to study French in university. Probably helped me get in.

Get a summer job, get more CAS hours...something that isn't too stressful, but would help you in the future.

To get the experience of a lifetime I suggest that you attend PSYL(Pearson Seminar on Youth Leadership) during the summer. It's a 3-week leadership camp in Victoria, British Columbia. Costs are reasonable if you really plan on attending (around the ball park of $3000 Canadian).

I went to a science summer camp the summer of my freshman year onto sophomore year in a program in the University of Toronto ;]. I might do it again this year if something is available.

Other than that I'm going to do a traveling (summer!) and find a job and get some CAS hours done.

I'm looking into pre-collegiate college courses. I'm either going to be doing creative writing or a joint course of logic and astronomy or history.

I'll be working on CAS as well- prepping for a half marathon, volunteering at races, animal shelter, that kind of stuff.

Basically, I'm going to try to stimluate my mind and body in the ways I want to while I can.That way I can have some fun and not totally mess up my future.plus it looks good on a college application :)

Edited by Nadirah

I'll work on my EE and do one of those revision courses. Then I'm hopefully accepted to a orchestra, that'll participate in World Music Contest in the Ntherlands in July :) Otherwise, sleep and try to revise some maths and chemistry.

Edited by Tilia

I am going to work in a government-owned hospital, under the cancer division department.

I will also have a chemistry tutor weekly.

A cruise to mexico for language improvement.

Taking 2-3 AP online classes.

But mostly revising all summer long and finishing my EE essay.

• 1 month later...

I did lots of CAS stuff & travelling! Although if I did it again, I would've made time for my EE and some revision as well x___x !!

If I were you, I'd dedicate say 2 or 3 weeks to extended essaying/revising but mostly EEing until you've got a draft of your EE at the very least. That thing is a devil of a monster to have hanging over you into IB2, especially if it goes on past Xmas.

Spend the rest of your time enriching your life :S:D

Don't go to summer schools! Go and learn to canoe, or sail, or ride horses or whatever. Find a charity overseas (if they speak your A2/B language there, that's a serious bonus) and write them a letter asking if you can come and stay for a few weeks to help out x) Ticks off CAS, revision of languages and is pretty splendid :):)

Or if you want to choose from your two options, go for the Internship. It's more life-enriching than a summer course, at any rate :S

Edited by Sandwich