I’m going to study the IB next year and I’m thinking of taking Biomedical Engineering in uni. I love Biology, so I was thinking of choosing it as my Science Subject. However, I’ve been told that I have to choose Maths HL and Physics HL in order to be accepted in an university to study Engineering. Is it true? Can’t I take Maths HL and Biology HL, instead of Physics HL?

PS I’m going to study the IB in an international school (because I applied to UWC, don’t know if you have ever heard about it) but I’m in the middle of high school right now, so I have already had 2 years of Physics (and Chemistry and Biology). Next year would be my last year of high school but in my country, even though our high school is 3 years, we only study sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Geology) in the first 2 years so have already been taught all the topics that are approached in regular schools (and I’ll have national exams around June). Therefore, I already have a considerable amount of knowledge in these subjects, but I really love Biology and it is the one I feel most comfortable about. 

Please can someone help in this matter? I can’t find any straight answer anyway. 🙏🏻

18 hours ago, Andreia_Costa_ said:

I’m going to study the IB next year and I’m thinking of taking Biomedical Engineering in uni. I love Biology, so I was thinking of choosing it as my Science Subject. However, I’ve been told that I have to choose Maths HL and Physics HL in order to be accepted in an university to study Engineering. Is it true? Can’t I take Maths HL and Biology HL, instead of Physics HL?

PS I’m going to study the IB in an international school (because I applied to UWC, don’t know if you have ever heard about it) but I’m in the middle of high school right now, so I have already had 2 years of Physics (and Chemistry and Biology). Next year would be my last year of high school but in my country, even though our high school is 3 years, we only study sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Geology) in the first 2 years so have already been taught all the topics that are approached in regular schools (and I’ll have national exams around June). Therefore, I already have a considerable amount of knowledge in these subjects, but I really love Biology and it is the one I feel most comfortable about. 

Please can someone help in this matter? I can’t find any straight answer anyway. 🙏🏻

Hi! If you've already studied Physics, I wouldn't take it again. Biology HL in combination with Math HL will look really good on your resume, and you'll take a class that you will enjoy. That should be sufficient to get you into the uni that you want to go to. 

Of course, if you want to go to a prestigious uni with a very low acceptance rate, there is always the option of taking 4 HL's- it's up to you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey!

I think it's even better for you that you have already studied those subjects at High School level because it will be way easier for you if you already have good knowledge of those subjects.

The requirements depend on the uni usually, so you should check the requirements of the universities you are planning to apply to. If all of these subjects are needed/recommended, then you can take all 3 as HLs, however, if you can choose between Physics and Biology, I would go with Biology since the course is Biological Engineering (not simply Engineering) and that's what you like.

Btw, what UWC school are you going to study in? :)

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, sophiatrentinaglia said:

Hi! If you've already studied Physics, I wouldn't take it again. Biology HL in combination with Math HL will look really good on your resume, and you'll take a class that you will enjoy. That should be sufficient to get you into the uni that you want to go to. 

Of course, if you want to go to a prestigious uni with a very low acceptance rate, there is always the option of taking 4 HL's- it's up to you. 

Thank you so much! I didn’t know that was an option. Do you think that’s doable? I mean, do you think it would still be possible to get good grades in all of them?

13 minutes ago, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

Hey!

I think it's even better for you that you have already studied those subjects at High School level because it will be way easier for you if you already have good knowledge of those subjects.

The requirements depend on the uni usually, so you should check the requirements of the universities you are planning to apply to. If all of these subjects are needed/recommended, then you can take all 3 as HLs, however, if you can choose between Physics and Biology, I would go with Biology since the course is Biological Engineering (not simply Engineering) and that's what you like.

Btw, what UWC school are you going to study in? :)

Hi!! Thank you so much, that was what I thought but I just wanted to be sure :)

I’m going to attend UWC South East Asia :) (I’m from Portugal btw)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andreia_Costa_ said:

Thank you so much! I didn’t know that was an option. Do you think that’s doable? I mean, do you think it would still be possible to get good grades in all of them?

It sounds like you're hard-working, so I would think so! It is a bit more work, but since you've taken some of the subjects already, it would definitely be easier. If you do decide to take 4 HL's, I would recommend to make the subjects that you don't necessarily need for uni a bit easier. That way you'll still be able to get good grades and enjoy school. 

• Like 1