Share your SAT I and SAT II scores

kman

• 1 month later...

Well... I didn't do well on my SATs which blows... However, I was not used to tests like those having been in a British school my whole life. They certainly do not correlate with my IB scores.

SAT I 2000

Maths 650

Reading 710

Writing 640

SAT II

Maths 590

Literature 730

French 660

(Luckily no unis ask for 3 results)

I've applied to...

US

Columbia

Vassar

Chicago

UK (so no SATs needed)

East Anglia (Offer!)

Oxford (Rejected)

York

Durham (Offer!)

Edinburgh (Offer!)

Woah.. nice scores. Seriously. Don't be disappointed. Be proud! If there's anything I've realized, it's this: as much as you want to go to a college, what's the point if it's not mutual? We're going to end up at some place or another. So best of luck on your application results, but if you don't get the letter you want, you're going to take your hopes, ambitions, talents, and future to another university. It's all good in the long run.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I got 2250 :)

M - 690 :(

CR - 790 :P

W - 770 :D , 9 Essay :/

I am pretty pleased with it but I am retaking to improve my maths score. *fingers crossed*

I have NO idea where I want to apply though...

MAYBE

BIG reaches:

Columbia

Brown

Amherst

Bowdoin

Pomona

Match/Reach - Barnard, Wellesey

Bahh I have only reaches, very few matches and no safeties :(

Definitely - HKU

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, because I wasn't sure where to ask this .. I was wondering whether it is compulsory to do the SAT II because I thought just the SAT I would be sufficient. As far as I can see everyone who posted scores did the SAT II as well and the prospect of studying three other subjects is way too stressful, haha. Are there any special benefits / what is the purpose of SAT II / is it recommended? In other words, am I screwed if I don't do the SAT II?

Outside of unis in the US, there might be a handful of unis who ask for them, but I know the overwhelming majority doesn't care about SAT at all.

Within the US, the majority of unis don't care about SAT2s. The more selective schools may ask for them--taking [usually it's 2 or 3] SAT2s might be recommended or required, based upon the university, so you'd really need to look into requirements for applying to a school. SAT1 is the general "are you ready for college" test, or it's supposed to be anyways. SAT2s are the "how proficient are you in a specific subject" test.

I'd think Chem HL would prepare you pretty well for the Chem test, although I don't think you get any formula sheets. You'd just need to study a little bit, unless you haven't completed the course by the time you're taking the test, in which case you'd need to study more, of course. You'd also be prepared for physics and math. Maybe French.

Look into the unis you're interested in. If it's an Ivy league school in the US, you're going to need to take SAT2s, but many other colleges do require them as well.

Then again, there are plenty of colleges that don't ask for them. If you're going to bear the expenses of being an international student, though, you'd probably want to go into a more selective school, so the chances that it asks for SAT2s is higher.

did mine back in May 2009 or sth like that:

SAT I: 2070 (800 Math 590 CR 680 Writing)

SAT II: 800 M2, 790 Chemistry

University:

Stanford: accepted and planning to matriculate

uPenn: accepted

UC Berkeley: rejected

UCLA: accepted

u of Minnesota: accepted

HKUST: accepted + scholarship

HKU: waiting

:P exams are coming up in 9 days, gl everyone

Outside of unis in the US, there might be a handful of unis who ask for them, but I know the overwhelming majority doesn't care about SAT at all.

Within the US, the majority of unis don't care about SAT2s. The more selective schools may ask for them--taking [usually it's 2 or 3] SAT2s might be recommended or required, based upon the university, so you'd really need to look into requirements for applying to a school. SAT1 is the general "are you ready for college" test, or it's supposed to be anyways. SAT2s are the "how proficient are you in a specific subject" test.

I'd think Chem HL would prepare you pretty well for the Chem test, although I don't think you get any formula sheets. You'd just need to study a little bit, unless you haven't completed the course by the time you're taking the test, in which case you'd need to study more, of course. You'd also be prepared for physics and math. Maybe French.

Look into the unis you're interested in. If it's an Ivy league school in the US, you're going to need to take SAT2s, but many other colleges do require them as well.

Then again, there are plenty of colleges that don't ask for them. If you're going to bear the expenses of being an international student, though, you'd probably want to go into a more selective school, so the chances that it asks for SAT2s is higher.

yeah the reason I want to do them is to keep my options for the US open, if I wasn't thinking about uni in the US I wouldn't bother (: Part of the reason is that yeah it's incredibly expensive if I want to go there (especially in comparison with Canada), so if I want scholarships or whatever, I've heard I need stellar marks. So I just want to be able to submit good marks, and not half-baked marks for the SAT II just 'cause I had to, y'know? Thanks for the info, though! Even though I'm in HL Chem we've only had a semester of it, and I don't think I'd be prepared. I looked at the French sample questions on their website, and they seem a tad difficult in terms of the knowledge I have, hah. I might just stick with Math 1, Math 2, and Physics. Thanks again :)

I don't think Math 1 and math 2 will be useful. I think they want one or the other, you know? Often they don't care which one you take, though. But if they only want 2 subject tests, math and physics should be just fine =)

Another advantage of knowing which schools you want to go to is you know what kind of aid they offer. Like Ivy league schools offer most to all financial aid and little to no merit, so scores don't necessarily matter--they have to be good enough to get you in, but they don't decide on how much money you get. But it's kind of a cycle because financial aid is going to affect the schools you look at, so since these kinds factors are dependent on each other to some extent, it can really mess with your head =/

Some schools don't consider Canadians as international students. I think MIT is one of them. I think Harvard differentiates Canadian citizens as internationals, so aid might be different. I'm not sure. For Harvard and some other schools, if you can get in, then they'll pay for whatever financial need you demonstrate in their eyes. They're fairly generous unless your parents are very well off. Sorry I don't know which schools you're looking into--you might not be interested in these at all.

I got 1860 on my SAT I in January 2009.

M: 690 CR: 550 lol W: 620

SAT II December 2009:

Math2: 800 Physics: 800 Chemistry: 800

I thought the subject tests were easy compared to the IB, I only studied for 1 day from the Kaplan books, mostly just memorized scientists' names.

• 2 weeks later...
SAT: 780 Math, 600 Reading, 670 Writing.

SAT2: 770 Math, 710 Chem

Univerities: Accepted into MIT early action, waiting on Princeton and Stanford though I'm set on MIT anyways.

congratulations on getting early acceptance into MIT! Did you have any outstanding extra curriculars? A student who graduated from IB last year got rejected from MIT with a 2350 on the SAT1- not sure what he got on the SAT2 (probably really high) and all 7's except for english which he scored a 6 in. He also had the highest average in our area. While your scores are also exceptionally high, I was just wondering what gave you that extra edge because after I heard that that student got rejected, I thought MIT was impossible to get into.

I hope you guys all get into the universities you get into- if it isn't interfering with other threads about the same topic, please let me know if you guys get accepted :S

Wow... really?? even with those high IB marks and a near perfect SAT score he still didn't get into MIT... that's odd :D... well i'm only in grade 11 but two of the IB students in grade 12 that just finished their IB exams got into all the universities they applied for and one of them is still on the waiting list for Harvard. However their SAT and IB scores are not that high as your friend. Their OSSD average thou is a 96 or 97... which i think gave them the boost as both their IB and OSSD are high along with international projects from C.A.S

• 3 weeks later...

I've got

730 CR

710 M

730 W

which is really low because i was planning to apply to

yale

princeton

harvard

chicago

and others..

but is there a chance that i get in??

i'm doing IB, have a high gpa and have several extra curriculars.. :D

yes there is still a chance, you scores are fine as long as you do this that make you stand out, for example how good is you CAS hours and CAS extended project, like for me i am going to the Philippines to help build a school, i think that gives me a better edge to getting into a top university without having really high SAT scores. Also, did you take the ACT exams as it also helps, that you have taken 2 standardized tests.

hey by the way since I am an international student i got a question for the SAT too, particularly for the new score choice policy.

Collegeboard has just introduced a new score policy called "Score Choice", which allows candidates to select which scores they want to submit to universities/colleges.

So here's my scenario:

I got a bad score for SAT1 for last year ~1600 and got a bad score in SAT1 ~1800 in Jan this yr, and I will retake the SAT1 again in June and I'm planning to use the new Score Choice program to only submit the June score to universities/colleges, so they won't know how badly I've done in the past.

I've previously ticked the "Student Search Service" for SAT1 last year, and I've received alot of crappy college offers by mail since then, and soon I realized how bad "Student Search Service" it was, I've 'unticked' that and soon these college offers have stopped bombarding my home mailbox.

However, I've been receiving crappy college offers since my (this year's)Jan scores are released in Feb, even though I have unticked the "Student Search Service" option in the Collegeboard website.

So, does it mean that almost every universities and colleges can see my scores now?

The Score Choice does not apply to every single university in the US. Unfortunately Yale, U of Michigan, Cornell require all SAT test scores. I have a feeling the Score Choice report is slightly different to the "traditional" one.

HOWEVER, most schools also adopt the Superscore policy. They pick the highest score for each individual section (CR, W, M) from all the SAT tests you submit.

UPenn requires all scores to be submitted as well

I got 2250 :)

M - 690 :D

CR - 790 :)

W - 770 :) , 9 Essay :/

I am pretty pleased with it but I am retaking to improve my maths score. *fingers crossed*

I have NO idea where I want to apply though...

MAYBE

BIG reaches:

Columbia

Brown

Amherst

Bowdoin

Pomona

Match/Reach - Barnard, Wellesey

Bahh I have only reaches, very few matches and no safeties :)

Definitely - HKU

oh goodness. you and I are in the same boat. my safe schools are my state schools. UF and Umiami.

I'm going to send in supplements because i REALLY want to go to brown [ or princeton]

If you have a good extracurriculars that follow with your reading/writing talents you have a fair shot.

Although you could send in a supplement of a short story if you write something really, really, good.

My brother got into Brown and he sent in extra teacher reccos and wrote a Dr.seus like poem on what is knowledge.

SAT1: 2380, 780CR, 800M, 800W, 12 Essay

SAT2: 800 Maths2, 800 Chemistry, 800 Chinese (80,80,80 sub scores)

Took them a few months ago, at the beginning of IB2.

Universities: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Cornell, Dartmouth, Penn, Colgate, Colby

..how?!

What else was on your platform/resume?

1. off the charts SAT

2. IB

3. Super amazing talent 1?

4. Super amazing talent 2?

Edited by sweetnsimple786
Try to avoid consecutive posts by using the Edit button :)

• 2 weeks later...

SAT1: 2380, 780CR, 800M, 800W, 12 Essay

SAT2: 800 Maths2, 800 Chemistry, 800 Chinese (80,80,80 sub scores)

Took them a few months ago, at the beginning of IB2.

Universities: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Cornell, Dartmouth, Penn, Colgate, Colby

..how?!

i took it two times. first time i got 2080. CR640 M780 W660 with Essay 8. then i did two weeks of hardout revision and cramming of vocabulary. so everything is possible as long as you put in the time and effort.