ITGS

korean

6. Socrates was illiterate and avoided the written word because he felt it weakened the mind. Similarly, many people today fear that we’re weakening our children’s minds by making them too dependent on computers and calculators. What do you think?

10. Think about educational goals in relation to technology. What should people be able to do with no tools? What should people be able to do if they have access to pencils, papers, and books? What should people be able to do if they have access to computer technology?

Can somebody help me with these questions? its for my homework but i cant understand anything... :S

i take ITGS aswell, crappy class.

6. Socrates was illiterate and avoided the written word because he felt it weakened the mind. Similarly, many people today fear that we’re weakening our children’s minds by making them too dependent on computers and calculators. What do you think?

-talk about text messaging and how its affecting writting in class and getting your point across to others, its become a secret language only few understand

- talk about how MS word and other text editors automatically check spelling mistakes, when it comes time to writting formal letters etc we wont be ablke to write well written letters

- we write on the internet in a very informal register. when writing to imporant people we will write also in an informal register cuz we're not used to formal register and that can affect how seriously we are taken by the reader

the other side

-when taking notes in class it is much quicker to use slang and txt writing so notes can be taken quicker and their much more personal to the reader

-in this day and age with all the technology we dunt need to know simplistic things such as writing properlly, we need to focus on the bigger issues

etc, etc

sorry, i cant help with question 2. my minds not in the right place for tht one right now.

the most important thing in ITGS is to pick a side, either you're for or against the statement, dunt mess around giving points for either side because it makes it seem like you dont know what you're talking about.

• 3 months later...
i was wondering what possible questions could be asked on a paper 3 about 'cell phones in a global society'. would be really helpful if you could help me :P

well...am not sure about what the questions could be like but some of them could be ;

The effects of mobile phones to society

Analysis of the use of mobile phones

Should moblie phones be used at school? Why or why not?

Health problems associated with mobile phones.

I want to know more about P2P system.. How dos it works and is there any issue related to it?

I did find on my own. I just want more opinions on it...

Gracias..

P2P is all about peer to peer connection and sharing of files. it connects to its network searching for a files just the one u search. then it looks for sources(number of usrs who hav the file and are online) then it begins downloading in bits to speed upthe download.

issues related are about piracy of people's copyright files and also this new thing of e-books being the next digital piracy i.e videos, songs, picyures were being downloaded and now peole have also started downloading e-books wich is becoming the next level of piracy. It's like me trying to copy a file off your computer without permission using P2P.

What about the software ? which is 2.2 in the sylabus? What is suppose to be known in 2.2.1???( Definitions? plz)

Well those are types of application softwares. The defintion is: Application software is any tool that functions and is operated by means of a computer, with the purpose of supporting or improving the software user's work. In other words, is the subclass of computer software that employs the capabilities of a computer directly and thoroughly to a task that the user wishes to perform.

However, for more information you can view the file attached for definitons.

About_Software.pdf

i took the itgs exam last may (an i got a 6 on it). i found that a lot of the questions asked for social impacts.

i also used this really good wiki that sort of goes over everything: ITGS Wiki

another sugestion is to have an example/story for each area of impact, and use it if you can

im gonna see if i can find my old files with all my notes and stuff :]

Edited by bailey

are all ITGS teachers bad? or is it just a mere coincidence?

I don't think so. My ITGS teacher is really cool. In fact, I think she is the most sporting teacher that I ever had. You guys should meet her. She use to laugh a lot and had never scold anyone. She likes to tell her stories and experience. She have her own facebook. :D She is just nice and I like the way she teach.

I haven't done my mock yet. It will be somewhere around March I guess.. For now, in ITGS we learn on system. There's a lot of system. My teacher said, we need to get familiarize with IT system as well as the social issues. Among the system that we are going to learn are such as:

>P2P

>Baggage Handling System

>iPod

>Online Job Search

>Data logging

>Data Mining

>Health Monitoring Software (e.g Nx Opinion)

>Online gambling

>Bionics

>E-billing

>GPS

>Computer Forensics

>Online Medical Records

Basically, teacher emphasize us to know about the definition, how it works, requirements, advantages, disadvantages, 3 social issues (+ve or -ve)

It does help in the exam..

• 2 weeks later...

can you define these terms? I can't seem to find a specific definitions for these:

1. user manual

2. registration card

3. serial number

4. backdoor(trapdoor)

5. tutorial software

6. training software

and can you explain the globalization of software?

I am having my second itgs test..

i almost failed the last one and i studied for it.

i donot know what to study!

i am having tests on online databases, health, ai/robots, networks/wireless.

he said there will be 3 exam type for 2periods.

What should i read and What should i study?

i really do have no idea!

can you give me suggestions???

I just wanna share on how to answer question on social and ethical issue questions. The questions are usually in paper 2 and carries about 10 marks.

Usually, to get good marks, you should have provide at least 3 issues. The issue should be well elaborate and precise. So, how to write a good issue? This is how my teacher taught our class. It might be useful to you guys too.

So, when writing your answer, divide it into 3 parts:

1. Outline:mention the stakeholder and must have a specific situation

2. Expand: Elaborate more on the outline by giving examples and emphasize the problems.

3. New Dimension: Describe either the impact of the problems or ways to overcome it/suggestion for improvement.

You can also evaluate your claims by weighing the positive and negative views about the issue. Remember, issues can also be positive...

If you follow this guideline, you will know what to write for issue and can focus on what you are actually write. When answering, it is not required for you to write the outline, expand, and new dimension as the heading. Just write your essay as usual and follow the guide given.

Here is an example [issue regarding P2P]

Outline: Many users (stakeholder mentioned) of P2P used to give and accept copyrighted materials without permission or authorization although the rules and regulations outlined omit users from doing so. (a specific situation given)

Expand: There are many individuals involve in file sharing of copyrighted materials. This lead to trouble where copyright holders face problems relating to mass litigation (the process of bringing or contesting a lawsuit ). The development of their product also will be disrupted.

New Dimension: The challenges facing copyright holders highlight that current copyright law and enforcement may not be sufficient in dealing with rapidly developing new technologies and uses. Although with the existence of various international treaties, the variation that exist among countries create difficulties for the protection of copyright.

=D Hope this help.. how do you guys usually answer such question? mind sharing?