Political Campaigning?

Hello

Recently, I worked for several weeks at a campaign office for a local candidate during the Canadian federal election. I went door to door, delivering pamphlets and asking residents for support, and in doing so shared ideas and discussed federal policy. Now, I asked my CAS coordinator if this qualifies as hours for CAS, and he was pretty sure that it didn't as I was working for a political party and not a group which is non-partisan. However, I still feel that by getting involved in the community and discussing issues, I was fulfilling the goal of CAS which is to create students who are active in the community and interact well with other people. The only thing I found with the IB that could potentially be contentious is that CAS activities should not cause division between groups; however, I was not protesting or anything, simply sharing ideas and helping in a small way to forward the democratic process, so I don't really think that this applies.

Anyways, just wanted to know what your opinions are on this idea, and whether you guys think that political campaigning should/does qualify for CAS.

Thanks

I say it should count as CAS; regardless of the fact that you were asking for support (in a non-aggressive/violent way, which I think is okay), you were doing something that fulfills the requirements (i'm assuming you didn't get payed) and therefore it should be counted, as far as i know.

I do feel that this can count as CAS hour.

I think the reason why your CAS coordinator do not want to grant this as CAS hour because it involves politic. If you get CAS hour for that, it might influence other students to do the same thing. End up having many students involve with politic. I think the teacher do not want this to happen. They do not want student to expose themselves to such activity and get carried away.

I do feel that this can count as CAS hour.

I think the reason why your CAS coordinator do not want to grant this as CAS hour because it involves politic. If you get CAS hour for that, it might influence other students to do the same thing. End up having many students involve with politic. I think the teacher do not want this to happen. They do not want student to expose themselves to such activity and get carried away.

This makes sense, considering we had quite a few students who got involved for the purpose of gaining CAS hours. Incidentally, with regards to payment, we got paid for one day's worth of campaigning right before the election. Would this invalidate any campaigning I did that was unpaid? (Considering it was an hourly rate, and not a bonus for our entire body of work?)

I could swear that people in my school have taken part in political protest rallies (chanting, throwing stones at soldiers, burning flags) and used that as CAS. One girl went to an anti-Bush protest, took pictures and I'm quite sure the teacher counted that as creativity.

So I think yours should count. Community awareness? And the IB only moderates a couple of CAS books from one class anyways, yours might not even be sent off to be checked by them.

Actually, the IB usually moderates 0 CAS books from one class, or so it has been with our school. However, when an IB inspector (or whatever he is called) visits the school to check out how we arrange the examinations (which happens every five years or so), he also checks out all CAS logs of students. Basically, you don't need to have a CAS log (like none of us do, we can't be arsed to keep one), but if an examiner comes, you tell yours is at home and you create one overnight.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... I used political campaigning for CAS hours.

Specifically I worked with the Young Democrats of American with their chapter in California.

We also went door-to-door, passed out pamphlets at public events, attended rallies for certain proposition, and called people.

My advisor didn't object to it, so I'm assuming that it is allowed.