MATHS IA HELP - TIDAL WAVES?

Guest millie12

Guest millie12

I have currently chosen to investigate tidal waves for my maths IA. However, I am unsure as to what other explorations I can do under this. (And whether or not this is too simple...)
Is modelling and predicting future tidal waves appropriate? 

I have secondary sources that'll give me data of tides at different points in times at a beach, so I will be able to graph them. I will also use trig and algebra to find the ideal time to visit the beach with my "ideal" tidal height of 1.5 metres 

I am uncertain as to what other maths/exploration I can apply to this

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

Edited by millie12

The very concept of this topic is rather intriguing and I find that it is a topic worth looking further into. 

However, you may want to make your IA question more specific and concise. Here is my advice:

- Instead of saying "is... appropriate", try rephrasing it into a question like "When is the ideal tidal height at (location) determined through (method)?" The example that I have provided is nowhere close to being entirely perfect, however, the point that I am raising is to be more specific with your question.

- Try being more concise with the term "future". Do you mean to predict the height of tidal waves later this afternoon or the height of tidal waves 20 or even 30 years later?

Hope this helps! :D 

Guest millie12
18 minutes ago, Lixter said:

The very concept of this topic is rather intriguing and I find that it is a topic worth looking further into. 

However, you may want to make your IA question more specific and concise. Here is my advice:

- Instead of saying "is... appropriate", try rephrasing it into a question like "When is the ideal tidal height at (location) determined through (method)?" The example that I have provided is nowhere close to being entirely perfect, however, the point that I am raising is to be more specific with your question.

- Try being more concise with the term "future". Do you mean to predict the height of tidal waves later this afternoon or the height of tidal waves 20 or even 30 years later?

Hope this helps! :D 

Ah thank you so much! :) 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/29/2018 at 1:59 PM, Guest millie12 said:

I have currently chosen to investigate tidal waves for my maths IA. However, I am unsure as to what other explorations I can do under this. (And whether or not this is too simple...)
Is modelling and predicting future tidal waves appropriate? 

I have secondary sources that'll give me data of tides at different points in times at a beach, so I will be able to graph them. I will also use trig and algebra to find the ideal time to visit the beach with my "ideal" tidal height of 1.5 metres 

I am uncertain as to what other maths/exploration I can apply to this

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

Is there a chance of you explaining me what you did, I am curious and keen kn knowing