What are you allowed and not allowed to do in CAS?

Afterglow

Our coordinator's pretty good at accepting most things, if you justify them. People stick all sorts of things into creativity. She doesn't allow a lot of things you do by yourself though. For example, if you play on a tennis team outside or inside of school, she'll accept it. But if you compete, not belonging to a team, she won't.

it kind of depends from school to school i think..for example yoga counts as action at ours....

If we teach yoga at our school, then it counts as creativity, action, and service. We are not, however, allowed to teach people how to do anything else. Don't ask me why. :rolleyes: Decorating the school library for Christmas and making Christmas cards also counts as creativity, action, and service.

Going to the gym and learning how to do aerobics counts as action, and for some reason, so does playing monkey in the middle in our school yard.

O.o

Guest golfkid271

its pretty easy to do at my school. half the kids dont even do any specific CAS activities. they just count things like school sports and even count classes they have.

My school seems to be MUCH more lenient than all the ones described above

I've gotten 10 hours for playing tennis with my cousins, and my cas teacher said that i could get hours for going snowboarding/skiing

Some people in my class are getting hours for programming and for stuff as simple as making a poster gets you 3 hours

You guys are really really lucky! In my school, going to gym, or doing some kind of work out doesn't count. According to our IBC all CAS activities have to have an visible product (like a piano resital, or tennis tournament) So, all we got to do is take classes for everything (dance, tennis, piano, you name it) or join in MUN or the Terry Fox Run or the help projects the school organizes. No other projects, no other organizations (unless it is really popular like GLOBE) That is it! Lucky me :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

I think that our school has the most restrictions on CAS. Seriously, all you guys have way more than 150 hours even in your Junior year.

In our school, the daily meetings (average: 25 min) that happen after lunch and before advisory do not count for CAS. So, i go to like 4 club meetings per week for 20 min and they do not count.....

Here is the worst part, we are not allowed to get more than 20 hours per activity in creative and action.......so if i participate in a soccer season that lasts for more than 60 hours, i only get 20 hours for my CAS points!!!!

Not good situation here and as usual, we have to write journals per week for each activity.....they are a pain! <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Our school is not very strict. Although I would like it to be far more strict.

The people are getting hours they do not deserve. The most used one is teaching their friend another language. Since our school is an international school, many people just teach their native language to one of their international friends. However, they don't actually teach. They just record hours that they chilled together. Pathetic if u ask me.

Guest Abrusci

Ah, CAS. I was dreading it when I first started but now that I've taken it all into context it's so easy. I had a discussion with my coordinator and she said that what I'm doing is fine. I chose to write poetry for the larger part of my creativity, jog (leading to a fund raising run) for action and just doing volunteering though the school (little bake sales, etc) for service. There is going to be a little IB trip somewhere this summer for kids at my school and my teacher said that us planning out, buying tickets and booking things to do counts as creativity hours :P

My coordinator made it pretty straight forward that nobody really fails CAS. She said that we don't need ALL the hours, just as long as there was an effort then it's considered a pass.

still annoying having to gain hours on the weekends and stuff though :)

...and for some reason, so does playing monkey in the middle in our school yard.

O.o

Wow, I really wish that counted towards our CAS. :)

A lot of people in my year are quite annoyed that we're not allowed to use old sports or creative subjects as CAS hours, but we're told in a nearby school that they are allowed... it doesn't matter so much for me, as I've always been fairly lazy and I'm not really a sporty person, but it's a little harsh on people I've known for ages that do a million different activities, and now they're stumped for new things they have to try and do.

I'm actually interested in knowing how you dock your hours?

I found out [too late :P ] that we have to go through a bureaucratic system of getting it all allowed and then told if it's allowed or not.

I think I'd much rather going out, doing the hours, then sending them in, and if need be going out and doing some more.

The system bugs me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At my school I say that CAS is two things. One- IB's way of making you have a life and in the process killing it more, and Two- IB's way of getting you used to paper work :) . We have to fill out a bunch of forms for each activity that we do :) and are only allowed like 12 hours for each activity and we have to have a "balance' between not only the three sections (creativity, action, service) but in time as well - meaning we can only count 100 hours before the beginning of our junior year. I don't know how strict the hours are because I've only done like 10...

I'm having a terrible time with CAS. I have tried to devote myself to it, but whenever I do, its just like somehow I don't WANT to do it. I don't know what to do, and I'm too lazy to do it. And I live in Kuwait, which sucks for just about anything. I've counted Photoshopping as CAS, calling it creativity. It helps me share my feelings in a way that is unbewitched by the medium of language. I think that works. At least it has worked for me. Good luck to people who need to do alot of CAS in little time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our coordinator is pretty strict, so I'm gonna ask you before presenting the idea to him...

Do you think arranging a get together over a weekend for people from all over the country who make a certain form of art could count as creativity? I really don't need any more service now... Action would be fine to.

I will of course perform some art as well, during the weekend...

If yes, would 10 hours be too much to ask for? I will be in charge of making food and helping people around...

Our coordinator is pretty strict, so I'm gonna ask you before presenting the idea to him...

Do you think arranging a get together over a weekend for people from all over the country who make a certain form of art could count as creativity? I really don't need any more service now... Action would be fine to.

I will of course perform some art as well, during the weekend...

If yes, would 10 hours be too much to ask for? I will be in charge of making food and helping people around...

planning the event is creativity in our school, and then they event could be either action or creaivity. the cooking would be action (unles ou made up the recipe, and were making it for the 1st time). count the hours you would be doing all fo it. :D hope that helps. i don;t see it ias service at all. but this is all based of how they would do it at my school.