For bookworms and bibliophiles...

Afterglow

The Giver? Never heard of, what's that about? You really SHOULD read Kallocain, it's really interesting, probably my favourite dystopia :D

The Giver is an extremely short book about a boy who lives in a supposedly perfect world where everyone is happy, but as you read, you discover little imperfections that eventually... just read it =] It shouldn't take more than an hour it's so short. But it's GOOD. And I will put Kallocain on my reading list =]

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite book is The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory. I have a lot of other books that I like though!

I have just started Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and I'm hooked! I'm sure it will become a favorite :sick:

The Giver is an extremely short book about a boy who lives in a supposedly perfect world where everyone is happy, but as you read, you discover little imperfections that eventually... just read it =] It shouldn't take more than an hour it's so short. But it's GOOD. And I will put Kallocain on my reading list =]

The Giver is a great book! I first read it in seventh grade but it's still one of my favorites.

I haven't been able to read much lately, unfortunately, due to the hell hole that is the International Baccalaureate programme. Most of my reading time has been spent on fanfiction, really, and most of them haven't been exactly intellectual so I'll spare you guys the "omgbbq they are so cute togetha in this fanfic" rant. BUTTT. I have read the Giver, and I must say that it was AMAZING. I read it in Grade 6 and it was truly THE book that got me into reading. :rofl: So yeah, I recommend it to everyone. Great, short read. You should be able to finish in something less than two hours but the message conveyed in the story is just so deep. Yeah uh, if you have any younger siblings who don't like reading - recommend it to them too! It may just be the book that hooks them into becoming a reader. <-- wow, I really sound like I'm marketing something here.

• 1 month later...

Favourites:

- Anything by George Orwell (although they depress me)

- Anything by Salman Rushdie

- Harry Potter (not denying it - I STILL re-read those)

- Anything by Dan Brown

With me, it's mostly likeing towards the author's style of writing as compared to individual books themselves.

I wish reading were a profession 8[

The best thing I've read in a long time I read recently, and that's Amit Chaudhuri's Three Novels. That man is a prose poet god. He writes the most beautiful perfect descriptions about the most insignificant things which, by the end of it, are dripping with meaning to the brim. Aahhhhh, he's amazing :S:D

My favourite book of all time, however, is The Magus by John Fowles. Not for how it's written necessarily in terms of use of words, but because it's.. well the storyline is actually hard to describe. The ideas and the events are beyond explanation without reading it (they make the book), but it's epic, it really is. Fowles writes very easily, too, pretty much all his novels are good reads :)

I agree that the IB takes away your time for reading. I used to read all the time, and now I read perhaps 20 minutes a day? Sometimes my novel is a textbook :S

Edited by Sandwich

Sounds good, will try to get hold of it. Who's written it and when was it written?

Sounds good, will try to get hold of it. Who's written it and when was it written?

The Giver was written in 1993 by Lois Lowry.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned so far in the thread, but I love the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella. It's nothing 'deep' but they're fun for a quick read =]

I know I'm a bookworm because 90& of my procrastination is made up of reading books.

My faves are so many i've lost count, but the ones that spring to mind are:

- jane austen

- the bronte sisters

-the old curiousity shop and david copperfield

-louise may alcott

- susan coolridge

and L.M Montgomery.

Perfume, the count of Monte Cristo and Nicholas Spark's books are great too

• 2 weeks later...

Favorite book?

I haven't actually found one yet.

I've read from Lord of the Flies to Eragon, and I'd have to say I fairly loved all of them. I love books in general. I can spend hours in a bookstore and not get bored just looking at the books. When I'm in there, I sometimes even hallucinate that I could buy the whole bookstore. I've eyed stuff like Paulo Coelho and some other authors who wrote sad memoirs; ranging from horror to even TOEFL books because they looked pretty :) . But then again, my mother tells me only to choose one book (I have a habit of buying a book just because I like the way it looked too, which is something I so want to get rid of right now but can't!). The Perks of Being a Wallflower was quite an experience though. Maybe it's because the kid portrayed sort of reminded me of myself somehow. My most favorite place to visit at malls are the bookstores (:

I would have to say my least favorite was The Brief, Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. I love history, so I really liked the idea of this having all the Dominican history and experiences of a Dominican family in the US, but,, I was kind of disappointed I guess. It really wasn't interesting at all and it won the Pulitzer Prize. I keep wondering how it did. I've read tons of books before it that are more rich in literature than this book will ever be, but they aren't even acknowledged. It was a waste of 40 dirhams, really

Reading! :) I honestly don't think I could live without it!

Pre-IB, I would just swallow books whole, usually fantasy. I don't have as much time, now, but I do have a bad habit of sneaking sections of my favorite books at night sometimes :P

My favorites are Pride and Prejudice, Abarat books by Clive Barker, Once and Future King, James Herriot books... I've only read one Coelho book, The Alchemist (he seems to be popular here) and I absolutely loved it.

Oh my gosh i love james herriot! i want to be a veterinarian, so those books are the funniest thing in the world to me.

And any fantasy book is wonderful,except vampires and werewolves, which are way too overdone right now. there's a hundred new ones that are all twilight copycats. but otherwise fantasy is great, especially anything by Tamora Pierce.

I strongly recommend 'The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" by Michael Chabon. It's told so vividly and the characters are so well fleshed out that it's nothing short of engrossing. Plus the plot is unpredictable and not completely linear, resulting in late nights kept up reading when I should've been sleeping or studying. It was my first" genre' novel (or the first genre novel that I've read that I'm aware is a genre novel) and I'm not disappointed. It's bascially about these two cousins, one a New Yorker and the other an immigrant Jew fresh off the boat from Prague, set in the 1930's to start. They try to make it big in the comic industry and the book basically tells how things proceed. There's alot to do with stage magic and Jewish mythology as well.

Edited by Nadirah

I know I'm a bookworm because 90& of my procrastination is made up of reading books.

My faves are so many i've lost count, but the ones that spring to mind are:

- jane austen

- the bronte sisters

-the old curiousity shop and david copperfield

-louise may alcott

- susan coolridge

and L.M Montgomery.

Perfume, the count of Monte Cristo and Nicholas Spark's books are great too

Haha. I agree :D

Louisa May Alcott is an all-time fave. I brought up Little Women one time in English class in like December, and my teacher was shocked that I read it/referenced it. I think it was the first book I read where the perfect guy and perfect girl get together and have a "happily ever after" (This was in 4th grade, mind you) I even read Alcott's autobiography because I was so taken with her books. Through her father's works, I began to like transcendentalism, and I absolutely LOVE Thoreau :)

I really should read some of Jodi Picoult. I've seem some great recommendations on this thread.

I've recently read This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen, and it's not mountain-moving amazing, but it's cute and it broadens your horizon.

We read So Long a Letter by Mariama Ba in English, and I love this novella. It was originally written in French by a Senegalese woman, and it's a 78 page, out-of-print ( :) ) book that will change the way you look at marriage and choices and freedom.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also obsessed with wormholes (not sure why, I just think they're really fascinating) and bought two books because they had nice diagrams of them. :D

Have you read Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time? It's not nonfiction, and the reading level's for about 10-12 year olds, but it's a must-read/semi-classic here in the States.

Edit: Try Scott Westerfeld for some sci-fi (the Uglies series as well as the Midnighters series is pretty ballin', i.e. awesome) but no wormholes there, well not really.

Edited by sweetnsimple786

and L.M Montgomery.

YES. She's a spectacular author. I fell in love with the Anne of Green Gables series when I was about 8 years old, and I still find it completely enchanting. Anne Shirley might be one of my favourite protagonists ever. She's clever, imaginative, and absolutely imperfect. *loves*

I have to say, I'm loving Ned Vizzini right now. I just finished reading It's Kind of a Funny Story for, like, the zillionth time (which is only a slight exaggeration, I'm afraid). I adore his sort of dark and muted humour, as well as his charmingly neurotic character sketches. It's a shame that he's only written three books so far, though.

I'm currently reading A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle, and I must say...it's bringing back fond memories of Theory of Knowledge. Haha. For philosophy and TOK freaks, I highly reccommend it.

I find it really sad, but I haven't enjoyed a novel since the Harry Potters. I read a whole lot, but nothing really blows me away anymore. Classics are especially bad: it seems to me that you always have to force your way through them.'

Maybe I should start reading the books in Oprah's book club. Especially the New York Times bestseller 'Eat Pray Love' sounded fascinating.

I was looking at my facebook bookshelf for the first time in a year. Well...then I came up with this.

Some of the first books I remember reading properly - all in Vietnamese

Mark Twain, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Hector Marlot, Sans Famille

Books that made me cry

Jodi Picoult, My Sister's Keeper

Madeleine L'Engle, A Ring of Circled Lights

Mallory Blackman, Noughts and Crosses

Books that will haunt me because they're just so damn creepy

George Orwell, 1984

Amy Tan, The Hundred Secret Senses

Haruki Murakami, Norwegian Wood

Books that I expected to like but didn't particularly like

Jodi Picoult, The Tenth Circle

Jane Austen, Mansfield Park

Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre

Books that I hate with a passion

Stephenie Meyer, Twilight Series

Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Books that I had lukewarm expectations for but ended up loving

J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter Series

Jane Austen, Persuasion

Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha

Books that had me hooked and read it all in one go

Phillippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl

Books that I love for completely frivolous reasons

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Nicole Moines, The Last Chinese Chef

Ann Brashares, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

Books I say I will read but probably never will

John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath

Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights - I think Jane Eyre ruined the Brontes for me. I almost wish I had to read it for school so that I would say I've read it.

Books that I have literary appreciation for but not really sure whether I can say I like them

Albert Camus, The Outsider

Margaret Attwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Patrick Suskind, Perfume

Paulo Coelho, Eleven Minutes - Maybe I should pick up The Witch of Portebello, everyone I know who's read it is raving about it.

Books that I have read multiple times and would read again

Madeleine L'Engle, A Swiftly Tilting Planet

Books that I've started, stopped reading, picked up again and not sure if I'll ever finish

Lin Yutang, Moment in Peking

Jane Austen, Emma

Bao Ninh, Sorrow of War - I'm not even sure where my copy is

Books that I started reading, didn't like it, abandonned then came back to it, read it and loved it

Madeleine L'Engle, An Acceptable Time

Madeleine L'Engle, Many Waters

Mark Twain, The Prince and the Pauper

Books that I don't particularly have a feeling about but finished it just for the sake of it

Dan Brown, The Da Vinci Code - Haven't read another Dan Brown since, thank you very much

Maureen Lindley, The Private Papers of Eastern Jewel

Xiaolu Guo, A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers: A Novel

Louisa May Alcott, Little Women

Books that I thought were just plain weird and I don't particularly know what to make of them

Henry Fielding, Tom Jones

I've been wanting to read SO many books recently... if only I had the time! :) I'm a real book nerd, and the IB textbooks aren't really satisfying my thirst for good literature. Lately, when I'm about to pass out after doing homework, I just pick up Harry Potters and read them before bed. Since I've read them millions of times before, it doesn't require a lot of intellectual skill, especially when I'm tired. :P I could throw some recommendations out there: anything by Ted Dekker! I read 'Three', 'Black', 'White', and 'Red' years ago, but I remember that they're very good, at least for my tastes! Does anyone have recommendations for good psychological thriller books or books to do with psychology? I decided that if I was going to read something this summer, it would have to have something to do with my EE in psychology so that I would be more motivated. :)

Edited by emmak