Predicted grades

king2010

How are predicteds determined? I'm worried because I'm awful in Biology and I wouldn't want a low predicted to hurt my chances at any universities.

Note: I'm only taking the Geography SL exam this year because I'm a junior. Is this the only class I'd get a predicted grade in?

Edited by king2010

At my school the end-of-term grades are pretty much synonymous with predicted grades, although you can ask for predicted grades whenever during the term if you need them for university applications and such. This means that you get term grades/predicted grades in all the subjects you're currently studying, no matter what exams you're taking at the end of the year.

On the other hand, the further away from final exams and completion of all assessments, the less accurate the predicted grades are. Many teachers at my school refrain from giving out the higher marks in the first one or two term reports, because there's so much left that you haven't done and all that. I think it's to give you a positive curve, and to leave room for improvement; they're always loath to make students too confident in any subjects.

So if you're getting end-of-term grades, I'd say those are also your predicted grades, and you'll probably get them for all subjects. Although I think the safest way to know this for sure is to ask a teacher or the IB coordinator at your school: they'll know your school's policies.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey,

Why does it seem that I'm fine with all of my school work, but not with the way the system actually works? :S

I've just read on the "IB Students' Starter Pack" post that it's the final exam of the first year that really matters for your predicted grades, not the mocks.

Now this got me worrying because I got a very bad mark for my Maths HL in that exam; 60%. Yeah, I know. Horrible. Compared to what I usually get for those small, end-of-topic tests, that was......I can't even find the words to describe it :S

I've done fairly okay in my other subjects, but then for Maths......I'm pretty sure that if that 60% is what my predicted grades would be based on, then my predicted grades wouldn't be as good as what I can actually get in my final exams. So there I was, thinking, "Holy ****!"

The thing is, I always thought that mocks is what your predicted grades would be based on - maybe due to the fact that we have our mocks sometime late in August and early in September. So tell me, do the mocks count at all towards your predicted grades, or is it the first-year-final-exams-results only that count, in which case I am doomed? :S

And another question - I'm doing 4 HLs at the moment. I naturally thought that I would be sitting HL papers for all of those four HL subjects. But then the constant emphasis on "3 HL subjects" by IBO got me wondering if I'm going to have to sit SL papers for one of my HL subject and sit HL papers for the other three (hence doing 3 SL papers and 3 HL papers instead of 2:4 as I thought originally), or I'm going to be able to sit HL papers for all four of them.

So, someone help me out please? :D

Your predicted grades are based on your mock grades, as well as your overall performance through out the year. It depends on how your teacher chooses to give your grade. End of subject tests, and actual IB exams are very different hence the difference between your test results and mock exams.

You can take up to 4 HL subjects for your IB exams. That means you'll be able to sit HL papers for your HL subjects.

I think the system of setting predicted grades is different at every school. There isn't an Official IB Way of doing it, at least. At my school the predicted grades are out soon based on the work we've been doing in class, results of IAs, and on our performance in end-of-term tests and mocks. My maths grade was lowered for the summer predicteds/spring term grades because I screwed up on the first mock. But I don't think your teachers would set too low predicted grades when it really matters for your future! If you're really worried about it, talk to your coordinator or maths teacher; if you explain the issue, perhaps they'll weight things differently.

On the other hand, there seems to be a widespread policy in the world of predicting down quite harshly, so that candidates get predicted one or two points less in each subject than what they're actually expected to be able to pull off. You may want to look into your school's policies specifically.

Regarding HL/SL exams, you may register for four HL exams, so don't worry about having to sit SL exams in a subject you've worked at HL in. Just make sure that your forms are filled in correctly so you're registered for the right levels in all subjects.

When i first read your question, i thought you wanted the difference between predicted grades that are based on end of year 11/12 exams and those that are based on the mocks.

In that case, the predicted based on end of year exam(year 11 or 12), are those you're going to use to apply to university, in which case, like Aboo said, they tend to be optimistic on. Whereas the predicted grades based on mocks, are the one that are sent to IBO.

I know you already had your question answered, but just incase someone passes by here, lol. :S

Edited by mahuta

Don't be,lol. This is what i was told by both my career's officer and IB coordinator.

You apply to University like before january right?

Mocks aren't usually done before that. So the predicted grades that you're going to use for application would be kind of different from the ones based on the mocks.

The application ones, are normally based on the end of IB1 exam. Although as i said, teachers tend to put you up by one point.

Predicted based on mocks are the ones that have to be sent to IB, which need to be extremely accurate.

Any more questions? :S

Edited by mahuta

But since you're sitting exams in November, Hugie, you should have your mocks sometime in August/September, right? And so you could send in the predicted grades that are based off the mocks for your university application anyway. The confusion is probably because most of us are May candidates and you're not. =) So try not to worry too much! It'll all sort itself out in the end.

Edited by Hyperbole

My english teacher told me that they dont just look at one good exam or one bad exam they take a look at how you have done over your IB2 in that subject. At my school they tend to be a bit nice and predict higher then what is actually received, for example my bus friend was predicted 42 and got a 39. Remember that predicted grades are just predicted, you can do better and worse in your finals depending on how much effort you put in.

DrewRow

PS. 60% at our school for Math HL exam is a B, and a 6.

Edited by drewrow

But since you're sitting exams in November, Hugie, you should have your mocks sometime in August/September, right? And so you could send in the predicted grades that are based off the mocks for your university application anyway. The confusion is probably because most of us are May candidates and you're not. =) So try not to worry too much! It'll all sort itself out in the end.

yes, thanks, i should have noticed he's NOV session.

Sorry Hugie:)

When i first read your question, i thought you wanted the difference between predicted grades that are based on end of year 11/12 exams and those that are based on the mocks.

In that case, the predicted based on end of year exam(year 11 or 12), are those you're going to use to apply to university, in which case, like Aboo said, they tend to be optimistic on. Whereas the predicted grades based on mocks, are the one that are sent to IBO.

I know you already had your question answered, but just incase someone passes by here, lol. :D

Well, base on what mahuta said, I also just know about it. I didn't know about the predicted based on the mocks.

And, the think is, in my college, the predicted grade is kept secret and we are not allowed to know about it. The teacher will evaluate base on our semester result and they will just keep it. It is no way for us to know. I think it's because they do want us to feel bad if somehow we are predicted to get lower than what we expected.

So, is it the same in other school?

yes, thanks, i should have noticed he's NOV session.

Sorry Hugie:)

I'm a girl, haha :sparta: I know, confusing name eh.

So I guess for students down under like me, it's like what drew said - the predicted grades could be based on our mocks I suppose.

Even if they're not, we do another set of exams in the start of Feb or something so, hopefully, I'd do much better in that.