Maths SL paper 2 (May 2016)

I am honestly so satisfied with Math overall in both papers.  I do not remember any question because I think it was very easy comparing with past papers, the one question that got me was like normal distribution too haha :( Been pretty bad at proability. 

Can someone remind me the brief outline of questions? Chemistry has been really filling up most of my memory. 

25 minutes ago, AnjaDe said:

They were both as expected from past papers, but I honestly don't remember a single question, except the one with the normal distribution from section A.. Anyone remembers section B?

25 minutes ago, AnjaDe said:

They were both as expected from past papers, but I honestly don't remember a single question, except the one with the normal distribution from section A.. Anyone remembers section B?

So from section B one question was on vectors and it mostly had to do with magnitudes and finding points on the lines. Q10 had the 2 graphs and I think it was something with the area under curve and the relationship between this and a triangle formed by the tangent line.  (also forgot most of the questions) 

In section A there was something on normal distribution (running or something) and a binomial theorem question.

2 minutes ago, Apple said:

What did you guys get for the Section A question asking for the possible values of p? It was the last question on that section where you were given the velocity equation that you had to integrate.

I got -0.2.. or something and 2. something

As seconds can't be negative I only went with the 2. something but the graph boundaries for velocity showed that p≤ 2 so I was a bit confused and just hoped that it didn't matter. Everyone who I asked got the same. 

6 minutes ago, Kristina Rollová said:

As seconds can't be negative I only went with the 2. something but the graph boundaries for velocity showed that p≤ 2 so I was a bit confused and just hoped that it didn't matter. Everyone who I asked got the same. 

The answer is actually something like 0.8 and 1.4... the equation for velocity was given as 6t - 6, this means that when t = 0, then we have a negative velocity (it's going backwards), you will see this when you graph the function and find the area. You will notice that v is 0 at x = 1, until that point the object has traveled -3 meters. So you needed to sub in and find in the distance from 1 - p, and not 0 - p. That's what I did and some of my friends in my grade got the same answer too. It also makes sense cause they asked for the "values" of p between 0 and 2

Edited by kevG

26 minutes ago, Kristina Rollová said:

I actually got the same as you for this question.

I was also very confused, due to the graph boundaries.

But nice to hear that your classmates got this result as well

Edited by TI-84 Plus

32 minutes ago, Kristina Rollová said:

I got the exact same answers! So in the end what I did was to write 0<p≤ 2.something as my final answer... Not really sure what else to do.

2 minutes ago, AnjaDe said:

Did you calculate that p constant question as an integral of velocity or integral of absolute velocity, because I wasn't sure if the question stated implied for total distance traveled or displacement? 

I did it as an integral from 0 to p and made it equal to 2. This than gives an equation and you subtract 2 from both sides to get a quadrtic or something which you put in the calc and solve for zeros. 

6 minutes ago, Kristina Rollová said:

I did it as an integral from 0 to p and made it equal to 2. This than gives an equation and you subtract 2 from both sides to get a quadrtic or something which you put in the calc and solve for zeros. 

Oh ok, I did the same thing, but I thought that maybe because question says possible values of p, and we got a negative value, that that should have been actually the integral of the absolute value of velocity to get distance and not displacement, which I wouldn't know how to do...

51 minutes ago, Kristina Rollová said:

I also thought in doing it in that way at the beginning, but then realized that the question was worth seven marks and when integrating there must be a constant (but maybe u have it correct)

49 minutes ago, AnjaDe said:

Oh ok, I did the same thing, but I thought that maybe because question says possible values of p, and we got a negative value, that that should have been actually the integral of the absolute value of velocity to get distance and not displacement, which I wouldn't know how to do...

that makes sense :D 

So maybe the answer was the -0.2... but actually as an absolute value which means that p= 0.2... (I dont really remember the exact value but it was something similar)