Maths SL paper 2 (May 2016)

42 minutes ago, Kristina Rollová said:

that makes sense :D 

So maybe the answer was the -0.2... but actually as an absolute value which means that p= 0.2... (I dont really remember the exact value but it was something similar) 

What u say is correct if u wanted to calculate the distance, but it asked for the displacement. 

1 hour ago, ibstudent77 said:

Did anyone get 2 sets of coordinates for the last vector question? I got quadratic equations for the values of x y z and so got 2 values for each. For the gradient question did anyone get -1.06?

Which values did you get for the coordinates??

At least personally, everyone that I have talked to and myself found this paper very challenging. I know the average questions completed in my class was 6 out of 10. I think this result was largely due to the exam focusing quite a bit on Statistics, Probability and Vectors which are not included in my government regulated curriculum. Due to this we kind of glossed over the topics. 

16 hours ago, kevG said:

There was also a question about a car and the year this girl will sell it... I don't remember the question but I do know that the year it will be sold is 2019

How did you get this???

Because the value of the car was like 11,000 and the price falls 5% every year. And didn't the girl wanted than to sell the car for 10,000??  

7 hours ago, TI-84 Plus said:

How did you get this???

Because the value of the car was like 11,000 and the price falls 5% every year. And didn't the girl wanted than to sell the car for 10,000??  

the value of the car was 16100 (i remember that they wanted it till the nearest hundredths) and i just used the compound interest formula but with a 5% decrease so you get like  0.95 interest rate... just equated it to 10000 and got like t as 9.5 something years and if you add it onto the 2010 you're still in 2019

8 hours ago, kevG said:

the value of the car was 16100 (i remember that they wanted it till the nearest hundredths) and i just used the compound interest formula but with a 5% decrease so you get like  0.95 interest rate... just equated it to 10000 and got like t as 9.5 something years and if you add it onto the 2010 you're still in 2019

10000=16100*(0.95)^n 

If it is 9.5, answer is not 2019, it should be 2020 because 2019 is still $10000< .  

Hope it helps 

10 minutes ago, inriya said:

10000=16100*(0.95)^n 

If it is 9.5, answer is not 2019, it should be 2020 because 2019 is still $10000< .  

Hope it helps 

Umm sorry but you're wrong

I just redid it and the correct value for t is 9.28 years. The lady bought her car on the 1st of January and the number of years it takes for her to sell her car from the 1st of Jan is 9.28 years. So whatever rounding you do, you still end up somewhere inside 2019. The question asked us the year when she will sell her car and the year she sells it is in 2019...

2 hours ago, kevG said:

I just redid it and the correct value for t is 9.28 years. The lady bought her car on the 1st of January and the number of years it takes for her to sell her car from the 1st of Jan is 9.28 years. So whatever rounding you do, you still end up somewhere inside 2019. The question asked us the year when she will sell her car and the year she sells it is in 2019...

Hey, I also found 2020, as the value i found for n was about 10.3

5 hours ago, felixzerbib said:

Hey, I also found 2020, as the value i found for n was about 10.3

I think you did the t-1 equation from a geometric sequence. You needed to realize that in a geometric sequence, when you use t-1, you also include the start of the on the sequence so you will be one off when finding the remaining cost (finding the 1st in the sequence will give you the original value, but finding the second you will get the value after 1 year). I also wanted to do that but I figured that it would be better to use the tradition compound interest formula to do it since I wanted to find the  definite cost at a given time.(And they said "after 6 years" if I remember correctly)

Or you know, I'm just wrong

On 5/13/2016 at 7:21 AM, kevG said:

I didn't have my calculator with me that time when I typed it. I forgot what I wrote though :(, but thank you for pointing that out! :D