Hi, 

I'm an pre-IB student and I'm considering taking Maths HL. Other subjects I'm taking are: Polish SL, English B HL, Chemistry HL, Psychology SL and Biology, but I'm not sure yet wether on SL or HL, it'll depend on my maths choice. I'm a good student at maths, I get only A's, I took part in many competitions and did quite well in few of them. My teachers say that I will probably manage to finish Maths HL but I personally think I do not have a chance for anything better than a 5, which will not be enough for my university entrance requirements (i'm     thinking about something like engineering). The other option is that I will take Biology HL and go for medicine. I like Maths more than I like biology, but I'm honestly not sure how Maths HL would work out for me. What do you think? What would you do being in my position?

Thanks a lot ;)

It's premature to think you won't get above a 5 if you haven't been even into the program but do have good past experiences in math. Certainly HL Chemistry is not much easier than HL Math, if at all any easier. HL math needs access to a large pool of past questions, which is feasible as long as your school has some experience in teaching HL math. My teachers made it slightly easier by 1) SLOWLY introducing the time pressure to us; we got to a minute a mark only in last 4 months of class. 2) give us almost all the IB questions they can find in the last 6-7 years sorted by chapter, and they actually write every tests themselves or take questions from pre-Internet era. Remember, once you think you can't get a 6 or 7, then those who do not believe in you win. It's far too early to judge what you will get 2 years from now.

• Like 1

I would agree with kw0573 that you cannot tell how well you do in HL math before you start it, but I will warn you that it is difficult unless it comes really naturally to you. It requires consistent hard work and appreciation for the subject to do well at a uni-level course for 2 years. Listen to what your teachers say and if they think you can do it, I say go for it.