Hi everyone! 

I'm going to be signing up for my courses in a few days for the Grade 9, Pre-I.B French Immersion Program and I've been debating taking standard level math or advanced. Math is not my best subject, and I'm not very confident with my math skills, but I think with a LOT of time and effort, I can make it through advanced. I do feel advanced might be a big push for me though, considering how math is not one of strongest subjects. I've also heard it's better to start in the advanced program rather then try to jump into it in grade 10 or 11... is this true? I was wondering if someone could help me make my decision by giving me an idea of what each program is like (and maybe a pros and cons list for each one?) 

Thank you so much!!!!!!!

- Girl Online 

It's hard to say because pre-IB is not a proper course, it's just something your school will have designed, so we won't know exactly what is involved in your standard versus advanced Maths (whereas we'd be able to tell you the difference between SL and HL Maths because those are formal courses!). I'd suggest you talk with your Maths teacher about which they feel you'd be more suited to, about whether you'd be able to drop down if you were struggling and also if it has any consequences as to which you take. For example, if you did standard level Maths in this Pre-IB year, does your school have a policy that would stop you from taking HL Maths if you suddenly realised you needed HL Maths for the University course you become interested in?

Once you've got the answers to those questions I imagine it will be much easier to make a decision. 

• Like 1

1. Pro (advanced): You will be more ready for later math courses. 
  2. Con: You might struggle more than you'd think.
  3. Pro: It opens more doors if you don't know what to do after high school yet.
  4. Con: If you do know what to do, you should spend more time on required course for admissions to uni.
  5. Pro: It is proposed that doing well in math you can improve your critical thinking and problem solving skills.
  6. Con: If you don't do well you may feel a lot of stress and anxiety.
  7. Pro: It's easier to go from advanced to standard
  8. Con: It's harder to go from standard to advanced, especially if you are to find out HL Math is important for your plans.
  • Like 3