IB Revision Courses

Afterglow

So I was thinking that there was a bunch of these kinds of 'IB Revision Courses' around the world and perhaps we could make a thread for it to discuss them.

These are the following courses that I have found:
Just in case anyone is wondering. Pre-IB means preperation/introduction for the IB. Mid-IB would be between year 1 and 2 in the Diploma Programme. Spring-IB would be the spring before the examinations in May. Autumn-IB would be the autumn before examinations in November.

The subjects offered vary from course and session and the same thing goes for fee so you should visit their website for that instead.

Oxford IB Study Courses
Link: Click
Courses offered: Pre-IB, Mid-IB, Spring-IB, Autumn-IB as well as book/guides.
Location: Ranges from what course but the main places are Oxford University, Harvard University, MIT, Cambridge University as well as different locations in Australia.

London IB Revision Courses
Courses Offered: Spring-IB

IBWISE IB Revision Camps
Courses Offered: Spring IB, Mid-IB, ESL (English)

IB Revision Courses Europe

St. Clare's IB Institute
Courses Offered: Pre-IB, Mid-IB, Spring IB

IBicus

York Science Revision
Link:http://www.yorksciencerevision.co.uk/index.html
Courses offered: Sciences (for A-level and IB etc). The subjects are chemistry, biology, physics and maths.

Bedford School
Link:http://www.bedfordschool.org.uk/template.asp?page=500
Courses offered: Pre-Ib, review course (august after first year) and spring IB

Oxford Science Studies
Link:http://www.oxss.co.uk/
Courses offered: Only sciences (math, physics, biology and chemistry). Spring IB, mid-summer, christmas revision and half-term revision.

Study Academy Vienna IB Campus
Courses Offered: Spring Final IB, Summer Mid-IB & Pre- IB, Summer Visual IB Art 

--

Does anyone else have any other that you know off that can be added on this list?

Also, has anyone actually been to a revision course? If so, which one? How did you like them? Did they help a lot?

I have a friend who went to the Mid-IB at oxford and then spring-IB in stockholm. I don't know what she thought about the oxford course but she said that the one in Stockholm was great.

I am sort of hoping to go to the one in Stockholm since it close to me and also cheaper than the other ones I think. But first I need to save up money, convince my parents and etc tongue.gif

Edited by Graeme

oi OSC rocked my sox! serioulsy wouldn't have gotten a 6 in english without it! I'm all for OSC! lol, though if I didn't take the chem course I would've studied more at home and gotten a better grade :) meh

I did spring OSC afterglow, if you're really in desperate need of help in a certain subject (like I was for english) then go ahead and take a course for that subject, otherwise I think they're not really that beneficial.. I mean I was excellent for chem but I took a course anyway, and it made me think "oh I'm good at it and I took a course, that should be enough!" so I just studied the syllabus 3 times after it and didn't do any pp and ended up with a 5! lol so ya don't do that :punish:

oi OSC rocked my sox! serioulsy wouldn't have gotten a 6 in english without it! I'm all for OSC! lol, though if I didn't take the chem course I would've studied more at home and gotten a better grade :lol: meh

I did spring OSC afterglow, if you're really in desperate need of help in a certain subject (like I was for english) then go ahead and take a course for that subject, otherwise I think they're not really that beneficial.. I mean I was excellent for chem but I took a course anyway, and it made me think "oh I'm good at it and I took a course, that should be enough!" so I just studied the syllabus 3 times after it and didn't do any pp and ended up with a 5! lol so ya don't do that :P

Thanks for the advice. I am myself unsure what course to take. I know I need help in math and chemistry. I mean I have a 3 in those currently ( :( ) but my teachers predicted me a 5 so I have a lot to work on since I am aiming for at least a 5 but at the same time I would like to take biology and psychology because I know there are things our teachers misses on those classes. For instance, no one has recieved a 7 ever in Biology - well it makes you wonder considering we have had TONS of excellent Biology students and 44s students. And a lot complain about psychology because the teaching is a bit different. I mean the results vary a lot. Last year 3 had 7 in HL whereas a couple ended up with a 3.

Do you think taking 4 courses would be too much? I would consider language but I haven't found one yet that offer A1 Swedish and A2 English and I cannot seem to see how they actually prepare you. Do they teach then how to write or analyse or so?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest whatever

i attended OSC cambridge last summer .It so helped for English A2 and Economics.

Howevert , theres alot of information given all at once , so make sure you get a good night sleep haha if you go there .

i would so go for it again . and it was fun to meet new peopleand all!! haha i miss camp=(

• 2 weeks later...

Well if you have the same lady as I did for bio, she made mistakes, it wasn't as bad as I made it out to be. I know one of my friends found it useful. But I found Chem useful and I have only heard good things about maths. Don't do english the teacher comes from my school and he is silly.

I want to do a revision course and am thinking of the IB revision Europe in Stockholm, most likely math and chemistry but I don't know if it is worth it or not....

Btw, is it bad to focus so much on the SL subjects than the HL? I realized that I take lots of courses on those since math and chemistry are my hardest (I'm not that good in it) but then I have noticed that while my chemistry and math grade increases slightly, my Eng HL grade is dropping quickly :P:D

Guest Fstraesser

hey u guys :lol:

i took the IB revision Course in the summer and it really helped me ALOT ecpecially in Phyisc :) im going again in the Easter vacation. i can only recommand it!!it woth every penny :P and i have friends that took the chemistry course and they say that the teachers were rlly gud and learned alot. The math course for me was gud too but not too gud cause i thought the teacher wasnt that well. but i think that depends on how ppl get along with the teachers. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Afterglow: You wouldn't happen to know any place where they have Swedish B IB revision courses in Sweden?

They're in Stockholm, their website is www.revisioncourses.com

I have a friend who took their revision courses in Stockholm and said that they were sooo great and his friends thought so too, so I'm definitely going for that XD the ones in London though (it's a bit closer - like a 1000 miles :D ). They're like half the price of OSC and still supposed to be at least as good so I see no reason to take OSC

however I'm only in IB1 so I'll have to wait a year B)

They're in Stockholm, their website is www.revisioncourses.com

I have a friend who took their revision courses in Stockholm and said that they were sooo great and his friends thought so too, so I'm definitely going for that XD the ones in London though (it's a bit closer - like a 1000 miles :D ). They're like half the price of OSC and still supposed to be at least as good so I see no reason to take OSC

however I'm only in IB1 so I'll have to wait a year B)

Oh oh! Do you know what subject the friend of yours took? :)

I have signed up for chemistry since I reaaallllly need that but I am thinking of taking something else.

And sorry dessi, don't know any Swedish B course :)