Math IA topic

jwappy

For my IA, I am currently considering writing a sort of "study" on Euler's number, e. In particular I wanted to talk about its mathematical origins (such as its numerical value and its purpose for serving as the base for natural logarithms), applications (plan on calculating projected pop. growth in my town), and intricacies. Is this too general of a topic? Should I narrow it down? Any responses appreciated  :D

For my IA, I am currently considering writing a sort of "study" on Euler's number, e. In particular I wanted to talk about its mathematical origins (such as its numerical value and its purpose for serving as the base for natural logarithms), applications (plan on calculating projected pop. growth in my town), and intricacies. Is this too general of a topic? Should I narrow it down? Any responses appreciated  :D

You should narrow it down once you begin do some research and focus on stuff you are interested in. For example if you find out one that thing about e that you can fill 6-12 pages then that should be your topic. I would avoid talking about too many aspects of e, which would likely be too shallow and not cover enough mathematical details. 

• Like 1

You should narrow it down once you begin do some research and focus on stuff you are interested in. For example if you find out one that thing about e that you can fill 6-12 pages then that should be your topic. I would avoid talking about too many aspects of e, which would likely be too shallow and not cover enough mathematical details. 

Very helpful response, thank you very much!

I agree with kw0573. Make sure you're seriously investigating whatever topic about Euler's number you choose to do. Remember that this isn't a research project where you look up different parts of it, rephrase them, and make a conclusion. The Maths IA is an investigation into how/why methods are used in a certain topic, potential alterations that could improve the methods, and applications of the method. 

Good luck! Xx