Appendices included in the page count?

oakendurin

Hi!

I've finished my maths exploration, but I want to ask something before I send it to my teacher. Are the appendices included in the page count? My exploration is 10 pages long on its own, but I have 6 pages of raw data which my teacher thought would be a good idea to add to the IA so I did. But he or any other IB teacher in my school wasn't able to tell me for sure whether the appendices would count into the 6-12 page limit. I imagine that they wouldn't count, but I don't want to take the risk of losing marks if they do count. 

Thanks!  ^_^

EDIT: Another question: Should I cite formulas that I have gotten from the textbook or somehow say that they are from the textbook? And include the textbook in the references? Or is it okay to not cite things that you've learned from the course?

Edited by oakendurin

Unlike the sciences, where the page limit is 12, the IB mathematics guide clearly states that the suggested number of pages 6 to 12, just to give a good you an idea of the complexity of the exploration and how in-depth one needs to go for this exploration, so the student doesn't produce work that is too simple or too complex.  The Mathematics guide states that "The exploration should not normally exceed 12 pages, including diagrams and graphs, but excluding the bibliography. However, it is the quality of the mathematical writing that is important, not the length". So, there is no explicit statement that you cannot go beyond 12 pages. My teacher told us that we can surely go over 12 given that we have diagrams or images, etc. that are made big so that they are visible. 12 pages is just a guideline for the ideal length, but it's the quality that matters.

In the new sciences syllabus for 2016, you lose communications marks if the report goes beyond 12 pages, but in Maths the descriptor for the communication criterion is as follows:

"This criterion assesses the organization and coherence of the exploration. A well-organized exploration includes an introduction, has a rationale (which includes explaining why this topic was chosen), describes the aim of the exploration and has a conclusion. A coherent exploration is logically developed and easy to follow." (Mathematics SL guide)

So if you're making an appendix, I'm pretty sure the examiner knows that it's an appendix if made clear and it does not count in the page count (in the EE at least). But like I said, since there is no real page limit for Maths, it shouldn't matter. Also, regarding citations, things from the course are normally regarded as 'general' mathematical knowledge, like a common formula or concept. The Maths course doesn't teach you things the IB made up, the formulae in the course are universally accepted ones, so you needn't cite them. But you may cite research online or examples from the textbook, should you use any.

• Like 1