CAS in the summer?

You have to remember that ultimately all the CAS that you do equates only to 1 point at the end of the entire diploma, so its more of a stress-buster than anything else. Starting a CAS project before starting your Diploma is just fine, as long as you're going to be continuing that project for a significant time frame while doing the diploma. I'd suggest starting any long term CAS activity in the summer after IBY1; while that is the prime time to complete all your IAs and finalize your EE topic, having a little CAS on the side would create a perfect balance for you to properly enjoy your summer and still make sure you're not out of touch with the IB. 

Unfortunately the service, action and creativity hours you obtained prior your first year of IB doesn't count as CAS, you have to wait till the term starts then the activity you participate in counts. One of my friends got so pissed after he did a month of tutoring prior to our first year in IB and he found out it can't count as CAS hours. Don't be stressed to much about CAS, complete as many CAS hours as possible during your first year, if your supervisor allows you to complete all your CAS within the first year of IB then you are lucky and I advice you to do so, right now it's hell for me in the second year IA's, EE's, Mock Exams and TOK presentation. Our supervisor doesn't allow us to finish our CAS within the first year because of the IB CAS guidelines.  

Edited by Clockwork

Okay, I really don't understand where some people get the idea that CAS is part of the Diploma Point matrix. Let me clarify: IT'S NOT! So yes, CAS is a requirement that is compulsory without which you cannot attain your diploma. But in no way does it have any effect on your grade. The CAS hours will come together very smoothly if you are an engaging person so I wouldn't worry about it right now. You've got two years to complete only 150 hours of CAS. Don't worry, it'll come through.