Visual Arts Comparative Study

arejka

Hi everyone!

If you do art and your exams are in May 2016 or later, you're probably aware of the new Comparative Study.

Basically, our art teacher didn't tell us much (I don't think he knows a lot about it himself) and I was just wondering how other people around the world are getting on with it :)

(I personally haven't even started mine and the first draft is due on the 1st of September, so I am starting to get a little freaked out)

Luckily, my teacher is letting us do a couple of practice ones before we send off the final comparative study but so far it has been quite difficult for me...

It is very important to really in depth state what various art movements/artists influenced the artist and how this is presented in their artwork. For my first comparative study I chose some slightly obscure artists and which made it difficult to find background information on their life and inspirations, so I would recommend going with some of the slightly more famous artists. 

Also in case you havent found this already, here is the official exemplar study from the IB ( x )

Good luck!

Edited by cuthalions

• 1 month later...

My teacher doesn't know much about CS either so my whole class is going crazy HAHA *laughing in pain* 

I saw a some examples online so I guess I will just follow the format. 

Which artists are you guys going to compare? 

I'm doing some religious art - The Virgin Mary and Child by 3 different artists and art styles. 

Hello! I'm a little confused too, but for the most part I'm just following some examples I was given by my teacher or found on the internet  :P

I'm comparing portraits of siblings from different time periods/cultural contexts, partly because it relates to the topic I picked for my exhibition.

• 5 months later...

I think I've got a pretty good idea of what to start with, but the problem I'm facing is that one of the works that has greatly influenced two of my pieces is "Growth of the Night Plants" by Paul Klee. I've made my own critical analysis of the painting but the samples I have seen seem to take external sources as help. Would my own analysis, based on Klee's general method of painting and ideas, be counted, or will I have to dig up an analysis on the web for this painting? Because I can't find it ANYWHERE, I guess this painting isn't one of his most famous works. :( 

Guest beyondtheimagine

I think I'm pretty well set for my CS. My art teacher sent us the entire "breakdown" of what we are expected to do. As well, she is allowing us to do a practice CS as if it was the actual one we are sending to IB. I'm really grateful, that my art teacher is helping my class and I.

I'm thinking about comparing two Canadian contemporary artists. I've so far found a lot of information on them :D

If anyone has a question about Art HL, feel free to message me :)

Edited by beyondtheimagine

I think I've got a pretty good idea of what to start with, but the problem I'm facing is that one of the works that has greatly influenced two of my pieces is "Growth of the Night Plants" by Paul Klee. I've made my own critical analysis of the painting but the samples I have seen seem to take external sources as help. Would my own analysis, based on Klee's general method of painting and ideas, be counted, or will I have to dig up an analysis on the web for this painting? Because I can't find it ANYWHERE, I guess this painting isn't one of his most famous works. :(

Please do not bring up old topics.