URGENT HELP What should i take for IB?

cookie1999cream

I asked a similar question before, but need more advice, so here i go!

I plan to pursue teaching/biology/opening my own business/working in companies related jobs

Current Subjects

Chem HL

Bio HL

Business & Management HL

Chineses B HL

Eng lang & lit SL

Math SL

btw I'm taking 4 hl's because I'm extremely good at chinese (obviously cuz im chinese), and i wanna get an easy 7, so I will need to take 4 Hl's. You guys don't need to tell me I shouldn't to 4 hl's because I have discussed this many time with my school counsellor.

My Problems:

I really enjoyed Business at igcse, so I chose it & I'm pretty good at it, also all my friends took this class. The problem is B&M is a 'soft' subject in uni, and economics is more prestigious, so for the good of my future I'm not sure should I stick with B&M which I'm familiar with, or switch to economics which I never touched before.

Another problem is, I do like chemistry, but I'm not that good at it. I dont know what came into my mind for choosing chem hl, but I did. Now I'm second guessing myself if chem is worth it, since I doubt that I can get into med school, plus med school is too hardcore for me. I'm starting to feel like should I switch chem hl to psych hl. I don't know anything about psych, but it seems to be interesting, but I've heard it includes A LOT of writing. So please if any of you guys took economic or psychology, TELL ME WHAT TO DO!

I highly recommend switching to Psych HL (or pretty much to any other HL) because Chem HL is very difficult and not worth it unless you're going to be using it. Definitely NOT an easy 7. 

As opposed to Chemistry, here's no big difference between SL and HL Psych: in the latter, there's one more option plus Paper 3 which we haven't studied yet but I've heard isn't very difficult (but is often taught insufficiently). If you're good at memorisation and interested in how the mind works, it's a good choice. I'm a bit dissatisfied with taking Psychology because I hate how much structure and memorisation there is, but thinking back, I learned a lot of fascinating things in the first year alone. It will also go well with HL Bio.

Also, Economics > B&M, just because universities view B&M as a soft subject.

• Like 2

I asked a similar question before, but need more advice, so here i go!

I plan to pursue teaching/biology/opening my own business/working in companies related jobs

Current Subjects

Chem HL

Bio HL

Business & Management HL

Chineses B HL

Eng lang & lit SL

Math SL

btw I'm taking 4 hl's because I'm extremely good at chinese (obviously cuz im chinese), and i wanna get an easy 7, so I will need to take 4 Hl's. You guys don't need to tell me I shouldn't to 4 hl's because I have discussed this many time with my school counsellor.

My Problems:

I really enjoyed Business at igcse, so I chose it & I'm pretty good at it, also all my friends took this class. The problem is B&M is a 'soft' subject in uni, and economics is more prestigious, so for the good of my future I'm not sure should I stick with B&M which I'm familiar with, or switch to economics which I never touched before.

Another problem is, I do like chemistry, but I'm not that good at it. I dont know what came into my mind for choosing chem hl, but I did. Now I'm second guessing myself if chem is worth it, since I doubt that I can get into med school, plus med school is too hardcore for me. I'm starting to feel like should I switch chem hl to psych hl. I don't know anything about psych, but it seems to be interesting, but I've heard it includes A LOT of writing. So please if any of you guys took economic or psychology, TELL ME WHAT TO DO!

I personally disagree with the perception of B&M as a soft subject - I know far too many people who've studied at Ivy League institutions despite B&M HL. You need to visit callidolearning.com/subjects - basically let's you plug in what you want to study and where, and shows you the pre-requisites and subjects you should choose accordingly. 

Good luck

Hi first of all this is posted in the wrong forum. Perhaps more appropriate is the general IB discussion

Now a lot of my friends take economics. It seems to focus a lot on analytical skills though you do need to write a lot for paper 2. The HL paper 3 is partly doing simple calculations or otherwise determining some values or points. The IAs are "commentaries" which are your economical interpretation and evaluation of three recent articles you will find. If you don't like writing then it may be helpful to steer away from psychology. 

I took HL Chem and I was one of the best students (say top 10% of grade) both years of IB. It has been a large class every year (~40 people) and rarely do people get 7s. Personally I studied quite hard doing homework and studying for tests. My school gives us lots of resources, including experienced teachers and past IB questions + markschemes. I studied for about 3 hours a day for a month before the final papers and I was few points shy from a 7. HL Chem has very interesting contents and is very helpful to studying medicine-related fields. However, chem is very different from many other IB courses in that for some units it's strong emphasis on concepts and for other it's the memorization that is highlighted. It's hard for many people (including myself) to be good at both aspects. 

• 3 months later...

Economics is the way to go.

It's really not that hard and if you are to compare SL and HL Economics, HL only has a few more chapters of stuff and an extra calculations paper in the exam!!

Trust me, it's not hard. In my opinion it's the easiest HL out of my choices (besides Chinese B of course, which I'm also taking!)

Business & Management is definitely the softer subject for HL, and honestly most people who take Econ HL in my school actually does Econ+BusMan HL (future in Economics and Finance and stuff).

The only difference is that I did Economics in IGCSE and so that actually helped me for IB Economics. 

Economics is not hard, and if you get the IB Economics textbook by Ellie Tragakes, her explanations are the easiest to understand (honestly this book is probably better at teaching than your teacher) and you can definitely get a 6/7 for it!