How many sources should I be using for History HL IA

soybean

I suppose it depends on your topic and the sources you used but I usually use 10-15 and sometimes a few more that I used to verify some evidence in the others. Again, it depends on your topic and how legitimate the sources you used really are. (My teachers recommended between 12-15, if I recall correctly)

I suppose it depends on your topic and the sources you used but I usually use 10-15 and sometimes a few more that I used to verify some evidence in the others. Again, it depends on your topic and how legitimate the sources you used really are. (My teachers recommended between 12-15, if I recall correctly)

ah alright that sounds pretty reasonable! thank you :) i'll probably end up using somewhere around that as well!

So I've recently started my IA, and I was just wondering how many sources is a "good amount" of sources to have for this? Hope it's not too much of a dumb question! Thanks :)

OK, well I think it totally depends on your question. Like you cant have 2 sources and be like, Yeah Im done. I think and recommend somewhere between 7-10 sources. That tends to be enough, according to my teacher. 

Essentially, content matters a lot. So if you have to choose between 7 Excellent sources or 15 OK-OK sources, go with 7

Hope this clears it up

King112

So I've recently started my IA, and I was just wondering how many sources is a "good amount" of sources to have for this? Hope it's not too much of a dumb question! Thanks :)

OK, well I think it totally depends on your question. Like you cant have 2 sources and be like, Yeah Im done. I think and recommend somewhere between 7-10 sources. That tends to be enough, according to my teacher. 

Essentially, content matters a lot. So if you have to choose between 7 Excellent sources or 15 OK-OK sources, go with 7

Hope this clears it up

King112

Ah, that makes a lot of sense, thank you! Hopefully I can get this wrapped up soon enough :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think around 8-10 sources will suffice. Too many sources makes part D look like a listing of sources instead of your own opinion. However too little sources makes part D look like simply your own opinion with no evidence to support your own argument.

• 8 years later...

Hi, 

Related to the same topic, I am writing the IA in History IB, and it is not clear to me, why we need to have two main sources and analyse them in the first section, and then we need more sources in general for the essay? I mean, should I focus my most Section 2 on these main sources, only with brief references to other sources, or have equal analysis of Section 2 on ALL the sources? I just don't know how much importance I should give the additional sources, besides the two main ones. Thanks for your help!