Choose the easy way or hard way to get good grades?

2cool4IB

Hello everyone !

I study 2-3 hours a day and that seems to be enough for me, but some subjects are harder than others.

Chemistry and Biology seems to require a lot more time than for example history and business and management.

Biology and Chemistry are my favorite subjects, but since I think it's a lot easier studying for history and Business and management, I'm thinking about choosing these subjects for the IB programme next year (I'm in the pre-IB right now).

what would you have done ?

Would you have chosen the subjects where you have to study the least and graduate with good grades or put a little extra effort and get good grades at the subjects you like?

P.s (I'm getting about 85-95percent on every test , but the difference is the time required to do so)

thanks in advance :)

Hello everyone !

I study 2-3 hours a day and that seems to be enough for me, but some subjects are harder than others.

Chemistry and Biology seems to require a lot more time than for example history and business and management.

Biology and Chemistry are my favorite subjects, but since I think it's a lot easier studying for history and Business and management, I'm thinking about choosing these subjects for the IB programme next year (I'm in the pre-IB right now).

what would you have done ?

Would you have chosen the subjects where you have to study the least and graduate with good grades or put a little extra effort and get good grades at the subjects you like?

P.s (I'm getting about 85-95percent on every test , but the difference is the time required to do so)

thanks in advance :)

Well, the thing is, you need to consider what do you want to study afterwards - if you plan on going into medicine or natural sciences, history or B&M would not be of that much use... Btw, Physics, Chem and Maths HL are an extremely difficult to manage together. Not saying impossible, just difficult. 

Overall, try to make some sort of a balance - for instance, I've decided for my HLs based on what I want to study (that being physics), and languages because I enjoy them. So yeah, it is kinda killing me, but it's a sweet kind of killing, I enjoy it. :D My SLs are larger killers and more difficult to study because I find them boring. :P

I agree with what everyone said above but just wanted to add a few things

If there are adults that know you well (what type of learner you are) - teachers, parents, guidance...etc. - I would also suggest you talk to them about what you want to take because each course caters to different learning styles. For example, Biology and History - lots of notes, reading, memorizing, Chemistry & Math & Physics - lots of practice, hands on, application, Languages - analytical skills, reading, writing.

So yes, definitely choose what you're good at, what you like, what you need for the future and try to take courses that work well together. Something that will help you to open up more opportunities after high school. 

There's an easy way to get good grades? Why hasn't anyone told me??

...okay, jokes aside––honestly, there isn't a way to get good grades in the IB. All subjects are so demanding that you have to be interested <i>and</i> study hard to get your 7s, otherwise you just won't manage. Especially with killer combos such as Math/Chem/Physics HL. The only subject that's genuinely easy is probably English B. You should keep in mind that easy subjects become hard if you don't like them, so maybe the killer combo is actually the best choice for you. There's no point in making life harder for yourself, IB is hard enough once you start doing it. Good luck!

• Like 3

Well, my subject combo (which is actually very same as yours expect I don't have psychology) is considered killer but I go for it as I dislike everything else. Go for what you like.

thank you for your answer. Are you allowed to have 3 science subjects at your school? We're only allowed to have 2 and therefore I must study Biology with another class.

...okay, jokes aside––honestly, there isn't a way to get good grades in the IB. All subjects are so demanding that you have to be interested <i>and</i> study hard to get your 7s, otherwise you just won't manage. Especially with killer combos such as Math/Chem/Physics HL. The only subject that's genuinely easy is probably English B. You should keep in mind that easy subjects become hard if you don't like them, so maybe the killer combo is actually the best choice for you. There's no point in making life harder for yourself, IB is hard enough once you start doing it. Good luck!

thank you for your answer :)

Well, my subject combo (which is actually very same as yours expect I don't have psychology) is considered killer but I go for it as I dislike everything else. Go for what you like.

thank you for your answer. Are you allowed to have 3 science subjects at your school? We're only allowed to have 2 and therefore I must study Biology with another class.

I need a special permission from IBO, but its possible to avoid Group 3 (Individuals and societies) subject for another Group 4 subject under special conditions. Namely, when I need it for the field I would preferably continue after IB.

Going back to your first question I think that subjects which allow you to get good grades with little studying are good to increase your predicted and actual grades. Although, and this being merely personal I like a good challenge. Something that doesn't challenge me, is of no interest. This goes for everything in life, whether i'm conteplating a girl I might date, or something I'm thinking of buying, if i didnt need to save up to get it, or have been wanting it for a while prior to getting it, i won't value it as much. Same applies here, if its an easy 7, I won't value the 7's as much as I would if it were a subject where I had to work hard to get that 7. Any how, that's just me, I think there should be a balance between both to make your IB journey pleasent, and interesting. 

• Like 1

I need a special permission from IBO, but its possible to avoid Group 3 (Individuals and societies) subject for another Group 4 subject under special conditions. Namely, when I need it for the field I would preferably continue after IB.

You can do it, I know Finland and Sweden even encourage it for studying medicine. You don't need that if you're planning to study abroad, though. 

I do design in uni, and whilst I managed to get by IB with a decent score, I really do think I would've been better off doing some other subjects instead of my combination. By that I mean that I was looking to study fine arts or english a year or so ago, and I took Maths SL and French B SL to 'fill' up the hexagon.

also to answer your question completely- I would spend lots of time on subjects I loved... but also to an extent, take some easy subjects. 

In example, in my own IB experience... I did quite poorly in math + french, and would've been better served in terms of time (to focus on my HLs of art, business and eng langlit, and less stress) if I had swallowed my pride and did IB Maths Studies! 

all in all though, I did take IB art which pretty much sucks up all your free time, so perhaps you'll have more time than me haha