Preparation of English Lang+ Lit Paper 2

Karan Jain

Can someone help me regarding how to prepare for english lang+lit paper 2. I am an SL student and studying for May 2015 examinations. The books are Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov and The Spirit Catches you and you fall down by Anne Fadiman. Thank u in anticipation

Well, first thing that my teacher has suggested for our end of year papers (I am in HL, and IB1, so consider that), is memorising quotes. Using quotes from the books really helps. Plus, write model answers and show it to your teacher, so that he/she can correct and give an idea to you. Plus, you should have some basic questions right, get an essay plan for each ready, and get your teacher's approval, so you are more stable

• Like 1

Well, first thing that my teacher has suggested for our end of year papers (I am in HL, and IB1, so consider that), is memorising quotes. Using quotes from the books really helps. Plus, write model answers and show it to your teacher, so that he/she can correct and give an idea to you. Plus, you should have some basic questions right, get an essay plan for each ready, and get your teacher's approval, so you are more stable

Thank you!

Know your works inside-out. 

If that means re-reading (maybe a third or fourth time) then make sure to do that. It is never time wasted.

Take every opportunity to discuss them with friends, classmates, room-mates, parents, teachers, your psychiatrist - anyone--- but make sure to include some who know these works and can set you straight on details and basic interpretations.

Then, learn to take apart Paper 2 questions. This is a valuable skill. Use exams from previous years. Practise this skill till you are sure you know HOW to answer them, and answer them FULLY. 

You don't have much time: May is almost on you, so make it a habit to practice or review daily. Regular, practice of even just 30-40 minutes a day is better than 6 hours once a week. 

Actually answer P2 questions in writing using your works.  Submit P2 essays to your teacher for criteria-based feedback. Will your teacher agree to this? If so, you're one of the lucky few. It is worth a try. There is nothing like precise, feedback from an IB expert (your teacher) to set you quickly and firmly on the right path. You won't get that from anyone else, and the next time your exam meets an expert it will be in the form of ... an examiner. Yikes.

Don't leave it to that.

Good luck with your studies!   :D

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 1

@king 112 funniest thing is... for the english paper, my teacher explicitly told us to not memorise quotes (a la scribbling them down on notecards and reciting them). his words were "If you know the texts well enough, the relevant quotes will come to you- there is no need to forcefully commit them to memory" I guess we had two very different teachers XD

---

needless to say, I went into that exam terrified. oddly enough, I came out surprised as I'd managed to write a decent essay comparing the two texts chockfull with quotes. guess it worked for me in a weird way...? 

that said though, my friends and I came up with some creative revison methods, which included a modified version of charades, where we acted out a quote until someone picked the right one!

and more papers, and more papers. you can NEVER have enough papers. and if you're gunning for a 7, try to find a creative or unusual angle to analyse that is wholly supported by your quotes- if I recall correctly, the mark scheme gives good marks for an original, high quality analysis. good luck- it's the last few dregs of IB before may hits you! 

• Like 1