Suggestions for Balanced IB Subjects

catbug

Hi there. Does anybody out there have a sort-of have a recommendation for subject choices? I'm trying to figure out which courses I should take but I don't even have an idea as to what I want to do in the future, so I would like to keep options wide as possible. I've considered law, but I'm not entirely sure. 

For the subjects I want/have to do are:

Psychology HL

Math SL

French AB Initio

English Language & Literature HL

Chemisty HL

I'm not entirely sure what my final option should be since the rest of the subjects I have to choose from are kind of crummy. 

(They are: Biology, Physics, ITGS, ESS, DT, Art, Geography, Economics and Music) I know for a fact that I do not want to take Physics, ESS, ITGS, DT and Art. I'm not also entirely fond on Economics either, so I'd rule it out but it's there for kind of a last minute thing. Does anybody have any recommendations as to what I should take or any suggestions? Please and thank you :)

Edited by catbug

The least you can do is choose what field you are going to study later. As in, do you want to study something related to science in the future or do you want to study humanities or do you want to study socials or law and so on. If you choose this much your subject selection process will be much easier. To be honest those aren't the best subjects for law but these subjects don't matter much. I mean you can still pursue law with these subjects but it wouldn't be the best thing.

To have the widest choice open I'm afraid I will have to suggest you to take physics even though you don't like it. Also to have a options open in the socials and humanities or science psychology is a good subject but I would like you to consider geography, economics and history(not sure if it is offered in your school) as well. These subjects are more related to socials and humanities than psychology because psychology is a bit on the science side as well.

Hope I helped. Cheers! :D

ITGS and ESS are generally seen as 'weak subjects' by universities, so not taking them is a good choice. If you are a science person, take Biology. It's a lot of memorisation, but if you're interested in it, it's not hard to learn because the syllabus is interesting. Not sure about Music but I know Visual Arts is a highly time consuming and difficult subject -- take either of the Arts only if you really like them. I don't know anything about Geography but since it's a humanities subject, I suggest you take it if you're into those. 

If you still can't decide, take the list and strike through those you don't want to or can't take. Then research the rest of the subjects -- look at the guides (should be made available by your school but also can be found online) and talk to people in IB2, or anyone who you know who has taken the subjects. I think your options are pretty open anyway with your choices. Good luck!

The least you can do is choose what field you are going to study later. As in, do you want to study something related to science in the future or do you want to study humanities or do you want to study socials or law and so on. If you choose this much your subject selection process will be much easier. To be honest those aren't the best subjects for law but these subjects don't matter much. I mean you can still pursue law with these subjects but it wouldn't be the best thing.

To have the widest choice open I'm afraid I will have to suggest you to take physics even though you don't like it. Also to have a options open in the socials and humanities or science psychology is a good subject but I would like you to consider geography, economics and history(not sure if it is offered in your school) as well. These subjects are more related to socials and humanities than psychology because psychology is a bit on the science side as well.

Hope I helped. Cheers! :D

You did! Thanks so much! 

What would you recommend if I wanted to take law? My school does not offer history, but they do have Economics and Geography. I really want to make sure I have a good combo for the future, but I also want to make sure I enjoy it. 

Also, do you think law would be a good field to go into in the future or would it be too popular of a choice?

Edited by catbug

Well there isn't any particular requirement of subjects for law. I personally think you should stick with science if you enjoy it (I'm saying this based on the fact you haven't taken essay based subjects). However, if you want to take law I would suggest taking economics. This will get you a little on the 'non - science' side. Law is a good field. There will always be criminals and innocent people asking for help :P

I really suggest you decide what subjects you enjoy and then take your decision. Give priority to enjoyment because what you take in the future does not solely depend upon what subjects you take now (terms and conditions apply. Eg- university requirement, etc.) . There is still time to decide. But as I said before, at least narrow down your choice to what field you want to take in the future.

Glad I could help. :D

In my opinion, Chemistry, English, and Psychology in High Levels are all equally hard. You did a good choice in taking French AB as well as Math SL (I still think Math SL is a hard work thing). My suggestion is take ITGS. If you're taking psychology, that means your logical thinking skills is good. And ITGS deals with somehow logical thinking skills as well as real life examples.

Cheers!