Hi! I'm in the midst of completing my personal project (it's due in about three weeks time) and selecting my subjects for the IB program. I'm interested in majoring in either political science/economy or international relations. 

These are the subjects I am set on taking:

• English Lit HL
  • Geography HL
  • Mathematics SL
  • Indonesian A SL
  • Biology SL

I'm planning on taking two humanities but right now, I'm conflicted as to which one I would like to take between history HL and economics HL. If I'm majoring on international relations instead of political science I know I have to take history HL. And I want to (I love history!) but I'm actually so scared. I've asked my upperclassmen and they all said that I would have to die to get a 7 and getting a 6 is possible but still, incredibly hard to achieve -- not that I'm expecting any of the subjects to be easy, of course. I'm not sure if I want to risk my grades. Also, I know they're changing the syllabus this year and it's going to be quite different from the one's past (now it's out of 8 instead of 7).

What should I do -- thoughts, opinions? Oh and what was history HL like if any one of you took it?

Edited by sashagh

what do you mean its out of 8 instead of 7? because wouldn't that change the total to 46 for people who do history and not for other? or am i understanding wrong :P

i'm also kind of confused about your subjects because there's 3 group 1 subjects and no group 4? or are you not full IB? 

anyway history--

everyone i know who does history says it is so hard and near impossible to get a 7 at hl. at my school its only happened a few times. there's a lot of content  the questions are difficult. but then also everyone i know who does history loves it and they find it lots of fun and enjoy studying it do really, if you're passionate for it then I would recommend you do it!! if there's a way for you to do it at sl then apparently its a lot easier but i'm not sure. and also you don't really have to worry about subject selection and the effect on your uni degree because usually the overall mark matters more than what subjects you took.

IBPrincess -- 

For our grade, they're making all of the grades out of 8 instead of 7. Not just for one particular subject, sorry for the confusion! Also my mistake, our school is full IB, I wrote the same subject twice instead and forgot to add my sciences. Unfortunately, they don't offer history SL, only HL. But yeah, maybe I will take it first to see how it goes.

King 112 --

I talked to my cousin recently and I found out that you can drop history after a month of taking it if you cannot handle it and change to another humanities or sciences. I think I might just try history first and see where it goes, if I think I am not capable of getting good grades in the class, I'll go to econ.

* would love to hear other opinions! :)

Man, you will get bad grades whether or not you like the subject initially. Its after a month of IB that you'll be able to pull your act together. I strongly recommend you take a look at the course material for both and then decide. Also, you should know that they are equally strenuous. Econ may be harder in the sense of essays etc to be written and the math (if you dont like math), but easy in volume. History is hard in terms of volume, but easy in terms of essays etc (for me anyways now that i figured what IB wants). Concepts are equally hard or easy, depends on you.

Hope this helps

If you like history HL, go for it. You never know because it's different for everyone (for example: everyone at my school finds chem SL easy and english HL to be the hardest which isn't the case for me). IB history is really interesting and as long as you have a solid understanding and look at the IB rubrics, you'll be ok. 

Wut? Are they changing the grading for all of us or just in your school?

WHAT?

I think they are just doing it for my school.

Man, you will get bad grades whether or not you like the subject initially. Its after a month of IB that you'll be able to pull your act together. I strongly recommend you take a look at the course material for both and then decide. Also, you should know that they are equally strenuous. Econ may be harder in the sense of essays etc to be written and the math (if you dont like math), but easy in volume. History is hard in terms of volume, but easy in terms of essays etc (for me anyways now that i figured what IB wants). Concepts are equally hard or easy, depends on you.

Hope this helps

If you like history HL, go for it. You never know because it's different for everyone (for example: everyone at my school finds chem SL easy and english HL to be the hardest which isn't the case for me). IB history is really interesting and as long as you have a solid understanding and look at the IB rubrics, you'll be ok. 

OK, thank you for your opinion/thoughts guys! I really appreciate it. I'm definitely gonna give it a shot.