Matrix Binomials

yasmeena

hello folks

just a fast and huge THANK YOU for all your help and informative discussions.

even i struggled with this portfolio and found great help here.

cheer,

andi

HELP! My portfolio is due in three days!

First, I don't know the format of the whole portfolio because my teacher didn't explain it AT ALL. We didn't even get a rubric. There should be an intro and a conclusion right? Should the paper be double spaced? Should there be a title page? What's on the title page? How much should we explain? I mean, do we assume that the readers are already familiar with adding and multiplying matrices or do we have to explain every step from the beginning?

Also, aren't there two general statements? Which one do they want? It says to find M^n in terms of aX and bY, isn't that kind of obvious? Since M = aX + bY?

it is crucial to have a good introduction,.. not only according to the assessment criteria, but also fo the confidence of reading and understanding for the assessor.

basically, i was told that you have to write the introduction in a nominalisation-for.. i.e instead of writing "i am going to investigate...." write "this portfolio deals with the investigation of.... and implies the application of GDC (or whatever) ... "

hope this could also help you somehow.

greetings from the cold africa

(even cold for me from germany :blink:

cheers,

andi

• 2 weeks later...

I am completely finished my Matrix Binomials project but I want to edit my conclusion.

Is there some kind of "bigger picture" that this assignment relates to?

Our teacher told us that all assignments have some sort of ulterior lesson but I cannot think of what it would be other than just standard math applications with matrices.

Also, the only limitation I had on mine was no decimal numbers...are there any more than that?

Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by Feist

Have you checked out negative numbers? :D Try more than just to the minus 1.

Yes I did, and it worked out for me.

Is there any way that Matrix Binomials relate to the Binomial Theorem or Binomial Distribution? Anything of that sort?

Is there any way that Matrix Binomials relate to the Binomial Theorem or Binomial Distribution? Anything of that sort?

I don't believe so. At least I didn't try doing that and mine turned out okay. Are you sure you tried negative numbers beyond -1 for the value of n?

Limitations: I don't know if it helped me out, but I talked about the limitations of a and b in addition to the limitations of n. I also talked about the limitations of my calculator.

Binomial stuff: I didn't use binomial theorem at all, but I did do some un-distributing, aka factoring, with the variables and their powers. Exception: When you do (A+B)n you can use Pascal's Triangle to find the coefficients, but this isn't really necessary.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I usually get around a month from when it is due to when it is assigned. My teacher doesn't help us either, they aren't supposed to. But if by structure you mean the rubric, you usually get a rubric along with the assignment, and if you didn't find get one you can probably find it somewhere on the internet.

We got 2 weeks. Yeah, it's up to each of us individually to figure it out. She won't give any clues.

For this one, she said that you'll either get the pattern pretty soon or you just won't see it and it'll suck because you might get a pattern that works, but then when you're trying to explain the second half, it won't make sense because while there are different patterns that work, one of them is more useful than the other, apparently.

I don't know. I suggest blocking off two hours of your time, taking about 3-4 sheets of paper and a pencil and doing it all at once. The worst thing is if you find a pattern and then don't write it down explicitly and then forget about it when you're looking at it again two days later.

hmm....so how much time were you guys given to do this project? My teacher only gave us a week and won't explain anything (especially when it comes to how this thing is supposed to be structured).

We had a week too. Major pain >_> As for how to structure it, literally just answer the question as it comes and go through it part by part, explaining your reasoning and why you're doing certain things as you go along. They're not allowed to help you at all, really, so my advice would be to club together with your mates and do it as a team. Best way to get the solution, provided everybody is willing both to share and also to put the effort in themselves :S

• 2 weeks later...
1. Hence, find the general statement that expresses M^n in terms of aX and bY .

2. Test the validity of your general statement by using different values of a, b, and n.

3. Discuss the scope and/or limitations of your general statement.

4. Use an algebraic method to explain how you arrived at your general statement.

I got to this point, i dont know if i am over thinking it or otherwise, but i'll address each individually:

After finding the general statement that expresses M^n

#2 wants us to test our statement, should i input random values of a/b/n and stick it on my paper? How many random values would be sufficient?

#3 I have no clue what the scope and/or limitations are; Other than some superficial ones... please enlighten me.

#4 Wasn't all my work up to this point the 'algebraic process' ? What should i do here?

Regards,

Symp.

EDIT:// Considering the last post was ~10 days ago, still i'd appreciate any type of feedback or response. I am handing this in tomorrow at 9am.

Well, even if i dont get any response before that i am still open to feedback to confirm my own thoughts!

Edited by sympathia

Ok so apparently there are a number of different ways to find an expression for (A+B)n, one involves the binomial theorem but i personally do not get this at all. My suggestion is to look at doing it algebraically as i explained above, as it is wayy simpler. If you don't understand how i explained it i can have a go at it again as it did ramble a bit :P my bad.

Anyway you said you have done it all except for that. How did you do the algebraic method. I have spoken to ppl who studied maths at uni and can't seem to get a clear answer on this !!!

Freaking out here

Haha, I'm freaking out too! But I'm getting the hang of it, luckily, I have a week left to complete the portfolio. Thanks for your help, I understand how to get (A+B)n, and binomial was not a good way to go for me!

When they say algebraic method, I think they mean clearly justify the general statement in a different way, because we have already justified it through the testing of different values, but I'm actually working it this at the moment but I'm still unsure on what they specifically expect from us. :D I think I'm rambling.

But I'll just keep working on it, hopefully I'll have a eureka moment sometime soon? :no:

Awesome glad you get it. I just clarified it with my teacher. there are several ways to prove M= A+B so just do it two different ways.

Ie. you can do it M=A+B and then M^2=A^2 + AB + BA + B^2 you'll notice that AB and BA equals the zero matrix and go from there, establish a pattern and so on.

hope that helps.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

I had the impression that this was what you had to do. Great to know I'm going on the right track. Thanks for your assistance.

• 7 months later...

I am actually doing this IA as a practice in class. This may be a tad late as the write up is due tomorrow. However, there are multiple general statements" that can be considered, yet when you actually compare them, they equate.

What I am having a difficult time doing is using an algebraic method to explain how I arrived at the statement.

Maybe I am just burned out from g4 and the world lit paper, but what does this phrasing mean?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm doing this as a practice task too. It's so different from what we usually get. But I think I actually am understanding something...

It helps if you have all your working out in front of you and keep referring back to the X and Y matrix and their statement.

I also agree that the wording seems vague, especially if you haven't seen any other Maths IA!