Matrix Binomials

yasmeena

Hi,

In this portfolio, we have to investigate matrix binomials.

X=(1,1,1,1) Y=(1,-1,-1,1)

Let A=aX and B=bY, where a and b are constants.

Use different values of a and b to calculate: A^2, A^3, A^4 ; B^2, B^3, B^4

By considering integer powers of A and B, find the expressions for A^n, B^n, (A+B)^n

----

this is where i mess up, i cannot find a general term for (A+B)^n...can anyone give me some tips or something?

further more, i have tried numbers for a and b that are the same, that's easy, but when a and b are different numbers, i mess up..i cant get anything ...

thanks

Edited by soso

Wow I can't believe they're showing you guy this stuff. I don't think you realized what you were ALMOST doing here, Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors. It's all linear algebra topics, look them up if you want but basically it's when you have a matrix and you multiply it by another and get, as your answer, the same matrix times a constant (so A is the same as a constant times your matrix). I'm not sure exactly how you would go around solving this problem without basic eigenvalue rules, but just if you hadnt realized, what you are doing is finding constant multiples of your matrix, so what you want to do is show that A^2 is the same as saying (a)^2 times X^2, but you can't square a non square matrix, so you have to transpose it and get a column vector times a row vector in which case you would get that A^2, for a=1, is 4 and A^3 is A times A^2, but A^2 is a constant so you go back to your original form of your equation, constant times matrix, so is 4 times A and A is (1,1,1,1). And for a = 2, A^2 is either (2,2,2,2) times the column of that which would give you 16, or do (1,1,1,1) squared times 2 squared which gives you 4 times 4 = 16.

For B its the same and so find the pattern, that i wont give you or else i solved the entire thing for you, and you'll see that the constants are the only things being multiplied.

Oh and you're not supposed to use different values for a and b...at least it doesn't seem like you should.

Edited by ezex

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a tip that made my portfolio so much easier:

Note how matrices X and Y multiply together to make a matrix that is completely zeroes.

Do a little research on this special matrix, and find out why it's so significant. It'll help you out.

And yes, you do use different values for constants a and b, your general statement should sort of resemble the ones created for X^n, A^n, Y^n, and B^n.

• 3 weeks later...
hey i'm doing the same matrix binomial portfolio that you are doing and I'm Lost. Can you please help me ? i dont get the part where it says "BY considering integer powers of X and Y, find expressions for x^n, y^n, (X+Y)^n. Please help me.

yes, i am having trouble on the same part.

specifically, what would the expressions look like?

Hey! i'm also doing the portfolio n have almost finished, i'm posting the expressions i obtained hope they help.

X^n = 2^(n-1) * (1,1,

1,1)

Y^n = 2^(n-1) * (1,-1,

-1,1)

(X+Y)^n = 2^(n-1) * (1,0,

0,1)

A^n=2^(n-1) * a^n * (1,1,

1,1)

B^n=2^(n-1) * b^n * (1,-1,

-1,1)

(A+B)^n = 2^(n-1) * (a^n * (1,1, + b^n * (1,-1, )

1,1) -1,1)

M^n = 2^(n-1) * (a^n * (1,1, + b^n * (1,-1, )

1,1) -1,1)

The important thing to show is how you got to these, and it is not necessary that you get the same general statements as above they may vary.

• 5 weeks later...

To find out (A+B)^n, you need to do research on the significance of the identity matrix. Then you can continue your formula, because the identity matrix will nullify all terms except for the first and the last.

Then you can easily make your general statement.

• 2 weeks later...

hey toth,

do you mind elaborating on the significance of the identity matrix? im also pretty far, but still stuck with finding an expression for (A+B)^n. how does the identity matrix help?

Secondly, afterwards they ask to show that M=A+B and M²=A²+B². I showed this with different integer values of a and b, but what is the connection we are supposed to make?

i would really appreciate your help!

• 2 weeks later...

i was wondering if anyone has any idea what we're supposed to do with this portfolio for the informal proof. from what i've been told, not too many students get credit for that part of the portfolio, but since i have a couple more days, i figure i should at least try. any suggestions?

also, what happens when n=0 in the general statement? does it make it untrue, or would 0 be a limit?

Edited by courtney