Interview 10: deissi ~

Ruan Chun Xian

All right, people. You've got 2 weeks to ask deissi any question you want. :) You can ask more than once but you can't ask more than 20 questions in one post and you have to wait until the interviewee has answered those 20 before asking again.

Remember, the interviewee reserves the right not to answer a question. :bawling:

Interview closes on 08/09/08, after which no more question can be asked but deissi can answer any remaining question that is still unanswered.

deissi will also get to choose the nominees for next round's interview.

Have fun. :lol:

--------

I can't think of an interesting title for your thread... but then that might be because my head is full of other stuff right now...Feel free to edit the title if you think of one :lol:

Aside from Nokia, what's another famous brand/product from Finland?

Name some interesting facts about Finland.

How is Finland different from the rest of Scandinavia?

How would you describe Finnish culture?

Is there any type of business practices that are unique to Finland?

Why do you think I asked all these questions about Finland?

Why deissi? What makes you choose the name?

Why aren't Finns as cute as Swedes?

Why can't Nokia compete with Apple's iPhone?

Describe IB in one word.

What would you do if you were restricted to using one hand?

Apparently Joel's not very interesting <3 ...or he would be if he answered his question ^^

Hehe I think you're right :P . And sorry for not replying, I was off hunting at our cottage this weekend, so no access to the internet :)

1. Why do people never vote for me? Because I voted for myself :diablo:

2. Am I that boring? Judging by the amount of posts, I'm the boring one :)

Why deissi? What makes you choose the name? Well, it dates back like 4 years or so... From the times when I still played CS :D . I originally used the nickname "daze" which (obviously) is something that doesn't fit into a Finnish mouth, so people in Ventrilo started calling me "deissi" (pronounced the Finnish way) and I thought it was more original so I started using it.

Why aren't Finns as cute as Swedes? Aboo, I'm not going to lie to you: I ask myself that question everyday. Its also a reason to why I have plans of maybe studying in Sweden in the future!

Why can't Nokia compete with Apple's iPhone? Well looking at sales figures (even for smartphones), I'd flip the question... The iPhone hasn't even done that well in Europe, so I wouldn't even say it's a real competitor for Nokia just yet. It's a nice gadget tho, I have the iPod touch but iPhone as a phone just isn't that great. Nokia has it's problems as well, though.

Describe IB in one word. not-as-hard-as-they-say (yes, 1 word)

What would you do if you were restricted to using one hand? Well I guess I'd try to use my feet more... I can't come up with anything smart here, sorry :P

Aside from Nokia, what's another famous brand/product from Finland?

I'll name a few: We have Iittala and Marimekko, which are design brands and then we have Patria AMV, which is an APC that's often used in peacekeeping missions etc.

Name some interesting facts about Finland.

Wow, we're a boring people so this will be hard... maybe I can give you something you can use in your school assignments (yes, I'm desperate): We have a very effective labor force (#1 in the world I think) and we're the least corrupt country in the world :)

How is Finland different from the rest of Scandinavia?

We have lots of lakes and Finns tend to drink a lot :D

How would you describe Finnish culture?

People tend to be a bit shy at first, especially towards foreigners if they're not fluent in English, but we're actually pretty talkative when we get to know the person...

Is there any type of business practices that are unique to Finland?

Well I think you could mention the ones I said above and, let's see, Finns try to be as honest as possible in business, if you get caught lying, no-one wants to do business with you.

Why do you think I asked all these questions about Finland?

There could be something related to school here ?

What's Finland like?

Well, since it's very sparsely populated I'd say nature (=forests and lakes) are a big part of Finland... It's not hard to find a forest even in Helsinki. Helsinki's nice as well, it's a good mixture of old and new and it's not too big.

What's the general opinion there about immigrants?

We're not as open to immigrants as Sweden, but I'd say it's pretty good. People do recognize the need for immigrants in Finland and I'd say people have respect for immigrants with jobs. However, if you're unemployed and don't look Finnish, people can be very racist...

How much taxes do people have to pay?

A lot... It's progressive of course, not as bad as Sweden, and they just lowered it. I can give you a rough idea of the progression: 6% tax if you make €5000 / year, 13% if you make €12000 a year, 30% if you make €40000 a year and like 45% if you make €100000 a year. Somewhat rough estimates, though.

There could be something related to school here ?

Yes I have to do a 15 minute presentation on Finland and Finnish culture for my Managing Across Culture class. Basically tell a bunch of disinterested people about what they should keep in mind if they ever want to do business in Finland. <3

Yes I have to do a 15 minute presentation on Finland and Finnish culture for my Managing Across Culture class. Basically tell a bunch of disinterested people about what they should keep in mind if they ever want to do business in Finland. :)

Wow... why on earth did you pick Finland, though? You'll definitely want to emphasize that they dont want to be too in-your-face since it's against Finnish nature to be very open if you don't know the person very well. And to be as honest as possible, like I already said <3 .

How do you deal with the school workload and being a mod here?

Lol... to be honest, I have time for this and so much more alongside with IB. IB isn't so tough for me, I get along fine with it, I basically only do work I have to return (=IAs and such), so there isn't that much to do.. Keeps my effort grades somewhat low but no-one cares about that when they don't show up on any real reports :P . So far I've managed to keep up 7s in everything but Physics this way :P

Do you like Physics?

If no, very good, if yes, why the hell do you like such a **** subject?

Do you like cooking?

Advice for somebody coming to Finland?

Does Finland have jobs for people like me? <3

Can you shoot a gun?

Do you like flying?

Can you tell I'm bored?

Wow... why on earth did you pick Finland, though? You'll definitely want to emphasize that they dont want to be too in-your-face since it's against Finnish nature to be very open if you don't know the person very well. And to be as honest as possible, like I already said <3 .

Haha well, my group and I were just throwing around countries, trying to pick one before the choices run out. Basically there was a bunch of countries we weren't allowed to do - those that are already in our case studies, and then we weren't allowed to do countries other groups have picked. So we were just on MSN looking at the world map and picking random countries, one of my group members just said Finland and I thought, ok, we can do Finland, it has Nokia, worst come to worst, I can bug you :P . Trust me, Finland is a lot better than some random places that other groups ended up with because they didn't pick a country in time and got assigned one - think Suriname and Tanzania (!?!?). I think they're going to have a hard time finding much to talk about.

Do you like Physics?

NO. IT'S ALMOST AS BAD AS TOK

If no, very good, if yes, why the hell do you like such a **** subject?

Yes, I just like it more than bio or chem...

Do you like cooking?

I can't cook... hence I eat too much junk food

Advice for somebody coming to Finland?

Don't let the finns get you too drunk

Does Finland have jobs for people like me? :)

People like you... business jobs? Yeah but the tax rate is high...

Can you shoot a gun?

Of course, I do hunting <3

Do you like flying?

It's okay... Gets me from A to B

Can you tell I'm bored?

Maybe :P

So here some questions from someone from sweden (as you tend to mention sweden so often)

Why do you finish people speak so F*cked up swedish? (finlands-svenska)

How often do you use the sauna?

Write down some finish swear words for me, i have a guy in my school talking finish to me sometimes just wanna say something back.

And oh yeah, don't come to swedish we don't want more people comming and taking our girls <3 (well i am not swedish but still)

So here some questions from someone from sweden (as you tend to mention sweden so often)

Why do you finish people speak so F*cked up swedish? (finlands-svenska)

Actually, not everyone speaks it. We have the Swedish-speaking minority (5%) that speak it as their mother tongue, and we have people who have learned Swedish in school (like me). The reason why it sounds so funny to you who speak rikssvenska is that it's exactly like Finnish, but the words are in Swedish. Therefore, it's a lot slower and pronounced differently (no, not f*cked-uply) than rikssvenska :) .

How often do you use the sauna?

2-3 times a week

Write down some finish swear words for me, i have a guy in my school talking finish to me sometimes just wanna say something back.

Ah, this time I can avoid the swear filter! Vittu, paska, perkele, saatana, helvetti to name a few of the most common ones... You can also use expressions like "Voi helvetin kuustoista" or "Vittujen kevät" if you really want to impress him :D .

And oh yeah, don't come to swedish we don't want more people comming and taking our girls :P (well i am not swedish but still)

Haha, afraid that Finnish hunks (I can't believe I'm using a word like that :D :D) are gonna steal your girls?

Why deissi? What makes you choose the name?

if it makes you feel better, deissi is a bottled water brand in Jordan =p not sure it's spelled the same though

Yes I have to do a 10 minute presentation on Finland and Finnish culture for my Managing Across Culture class. Basically tell a bunch of disinterested people about what they should keep in mind if they ever want to do business in Finland. :D

omg and here I was thinking you had an honest interest! USER!

:D

erm sorry Joel I'm not really interested in asking you anything at the moment :) can just be the annoying person who critisizes other posters right now? :D

Aboo!! you have 300+ posts man! you'e on here as much as the admins/mods :P

1. How did the sauna and ice swimming come about to be such a big part of Finnish culture?

2. Do you think Conan O'Brien influenced the 2006 Finnish presidential elections? :P

Lol... to be honest, I have time for this and so much more alongside with IB. IB isn't so tough for me, I get along fine with it, I basically only do work I have to return (=IAs and such), so there isn't that much to do.. Keeps my effort grades somewhat low but no-one cares about that when they don't show up on any real reports :D . So far I've managed to keep up 7s in everything but Physics this way :D

Doesn't that pull your GPA down? Our teachers base our predicteds on the quality of the stuff we hand in, how hard we work, potential, etc. Don't you worry about that?

4. I'm going blind trying to read your avatar. What does it say? :|