CAS Hours Questions

Dasani

So for creativity, could i put marching band practices and competition? Also, practicing the piano, since i play the piano and also put down piano recitals?

Action... I'm doing tennis practice and tennis matches at my high school.

Service. I'm doing National Honor Society and this other club.

Action and creative all look pretty good, however your service ones could be on the 'worrying' side, actually, let me correct, on the 'not very good' side. Sorry. And why you may ask? Well, you aren't helping people who are at some sort of disadvantage/participating in a cause that will benefit others.

However, talk to your cas coordinator! Who knows, maybe they will accept those activities. I know at my school the cas coordinator is the only person who gives you the o.k. for cas completion.

Good luck yo

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm new to the IB and I'm not sure how the hours work. Do we have to complete 25 hours of CAS both in year 1 & 2 regardless of the number of hours earned during the first year? Long story short, is it possible to complete all 150 hours in 11th grade? 

I'm new to the IB and I'm not sure how the hours work. Do we have to complete 25 hours of CAS both in year 1 & 2 regardless of the number of hours earned during the first year? Long story short, is it possible to complete all 150 hours in 11th grade? 

You need to complete 150 hours of Creative, Action and Service (50 each) by the end of grade 12.

CAS is an 18-month program, this means that even if you complete all the hours needed (150) in the first year, you still have to do activities and document. 

For your second question,

Yes, it's very easy to complete all 150 hours in grade 11, but then again it depends on the opportunities your school/environment offers you. I managed to complete all my hours in IB1, but I might've over-killed it cause I ended up with almost 600 hours:

alJu7MN.png

But now I can relax and just take it easy while I focus on my subjects, and  do an hour here and there at school clubs...

All you need to do is keep yourself engaged with activities during your free time!

Edited by kevG