chances for us unis?

mariekur

Hi guys :)

so as college application season is rolling around i was wondering if anybody could look if i have any chances at the unis below :)

Brown ( top choice!!)

Yale (only applying cause my uncle (yalie) wants to help me and push me somehow through :D)

Fashion Institute of Technology

Elon University

Wellesley

Amherst

Vassar

Wesleyan

Northweastern

My stats:

german student

gpa  : 3,9

ib points: 38

sat: not taken yet but expect to get a 2100  sat subject : german 780 , french 760

EC:

music: plays piano and flute -> teaches kids to play piano

politics: member of organizing commitee (founders) of the debating team 

Sports: Duke of Edinburgh Award gold

Skipboxxing

rope skipping

field hockey

volunteer work:

weekly work with children in a local primary school

worked with elderly people in a retirement home for grade 8 and 9 (before i switched schools)

volunteer trip to Russia to work with handicapped people in a state home

thanks for reading all through :)

& thanks for every single answer :))

Edited by mariekur

Your record is actually rather impressive. Of course, you'll want to get that SAT score finalized, but for the most part, I'm confident you would be an excellent candidate for most of those universities. Obviously, there is a lot of competition, especially at a place like Yale or Brown. I do know for Yale that a 2100 is on the low side, so you'll want to make sure you beat that. What I don't know is if uncles count as legacy or not at Yale - that could help a lot. Colleges like Brown or Yale do like foreign students a lot though, and in fact, your main competition will likely be other students from Germany fighting for the few "German seats" that need to be filled. So, do you think you're better than those other German students?

I'd say you should be in contact with admissions officers at those school. Ask them questions and make sure they know who you are and you'll likely do better when applying. Do very well on your SAT, talk to admissions officers, and write a killer essay, and I'd say you have a good shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Uncles do not count as legacies, only your parents would count as legacies. However that being said, it would be worthwhile to mention that your uncle did attend. As for early decision, if you are sure that a university is your #1 choice then you can apply early decision where the acceptance rate do raise a little bit.