How to prepare for history HL(european)?

Luleline

So i am starting IB this september and i would like to do some preparation for history, since i was told that there is a lot of reading and work. Maybe you guys could help me prepare just a bit during summer?

Any helpful books that you wish you have read before starting history?

Thanks in advance :) 

As I advise most people coming into the IB, you don't need to do any preparation beforehand.

There's a lot of work but that level of work can appear exaggerated to those who haven't experienced it so they start worrying far too much about it. You'll probably forget most of it by the time you get started and this is a truly responsibility free summer until you finish the IB so make the most of it by focusing on other interests. 

So, don't worry about preparing loads. However, should you still want to do some research into the subject, I recommend searching a few introductory documentaries to the world wars (they're probably the most written about in general history for the past 100 years) which discuss the causes and effects of the wars. 'The Great War' is a long series about the events of the war. I believe CrashCourse on YouTube has one or two videos in their 'world history' playlist.  Same goes for the cold war if you're going to be studying that. 

There's less on the HL stuff like italian unification but you don't need to cover the whole thing since you have 2 years to do it all. 

In short, don't worry about preparation. If you want to kill time, watch a documentary or two. 

• Like 4

I agree with Award Winning Boss - you don't need to study for anything in the IB beforehand. However, I'd say that, if you are bored and want to prepare for history, do some preliminary research on IB history rather than the history itself. Look at old test questions, read about the different exams, and come up with a system of note taking that will allow you to be able to study them later. If you start with a system in place, you'll be far better off than the people who waited until later.

Or, you could enjoy your last summer without a ton of work :)

• Like 1