Math Studies & Psychology?

Riska Eka

Hey, everyone!

So I am an Indonesian student and I want to apply for Psychology major in UK for next year. I am now taking Math SL and wonder will it be a problem if I drop it to Math Studies? My teacher had suggested that if we want to take psychology in uni we better drop to studies because they study much more about statistics there than in SL, but, lots of my friends said that most universities in UK won't accept if you're taking math studies. I kinda struggle in doing Math SL and I've been considering to drop to studies, but because of what lots of my friends said, I am not dropping to studies.I know it depends on what universities I'm thinking of applying, and one of it is St. Andrews so I don't think they will accept Math Studies. But other universities that I'm thinking of applying are as follows:

• University of Kent
  • University of Leeds
  • Northumbria University
  • University of Northampton
  • University of Southampton

and many more I haven't made my mind up. So yeah, if you guys know whether it's okay for me to take Math Studies and apply to those universities let me know!!

Thanks in advance!!

I think that almost all of These Universitys require at least Maths SL. I don't know about all of them but for the uni of Kent you defenitely have to take Maths SL to meet their entry requirements. You should look it up University for University to see what exactly their entry requirements are.

It generally is difficult to apply for an English uni with math studies, because they're really sceptical about  it ...

Edited by IEAFBC812

from what ive learned (since i have the same HL's as you), Universities will look at your overall score then your subject choices. If you score letsay a 4 in math SL, and it severely brings down your overall to about a say 30, then i suggest you go to studies where your overall will greatly improve. then again in psychology, yes you need stats, but we study all the necessary stats in biology HL and studies isnt useful in that area. also its a bad impression your application in the end. psychology math is really common sense and the math SL isnt directly helping your psychology studies, but it isnt worsening your prospectives because right now your choices are impressive. i would say stick to math SL and try your hardest. even if you do score a 4, try and be impressive in the remaining grades and itll be fine

So I didn't apply to any of the unis you have on your list but I did apply to the University of Glasgow for BSc (bachelor of science) psychology and neuroscience (so a joint honors course). And even though I took math studies I got an offer for 36 points for deferred entry to 2015 (2 weeks till I know whether I've met it EEEEK)! My predicted grades were high though, so that may have played a big role.

Basically its possible to get an offer from UK unis even with math studies but I think it makes it harder/less likely to get an offer. So I think you should stick with it unless its way too hard for you and/or it starts bringing your other grades down!

Hey, everyone!

So I am an Indonesian student and I want to apply for Psychology major in UK for next year. I am now taking Math SL and wonder will it be a problem if I drop it to Math Studies? My teacher had suggested that if we want to take psychology in uni we better drop to studies because they study much more about statistics there than in SL, but, lots of my friends said that most universities in UK won't accept if you're taking math studies. I kinda struggle in doing Math SL and I've been considering to drop to studies, but because of what lots of my friends said, I am not dropping to studies.I know it depends on what universities I'm thinking of applying, and one of it is St. Andrews so I don't think they will accept Math Studies. But other universities that I'm thinking of applying are as follows:

• University of Kent
  • University of Leeds
  • Northumbria University
  • University of Northampton
  • University of Southampton

and many more I haven't made my mind up. So yeah, if you guys know whether it's okay for me to take Math Studies and apply to those universities let me know!!

Thanks in advance!!

To be honest with you, none of these universities are especially competitive, with the exception of Leeds and Southampton, so I think Studies would be ok. Northumbria wouldn't care, and I doubt Northampton would anyway.  The best thing you can do is e-mail the universities. 

Don't worry about it! I applied to Southampton and Kent for Psychology and take Maths Studies, and got an offer from both. I also have friends who applied to the others you are interested in and got offers even though they do Studies...maybe it depends on your overall score/extracurricular that may make you more desirable a candidate?

Hope this helps/reassures you :)