Is it worth to study during the summer to improve predicted 4 in Math HL?

Rasad

Hello guys.

So I'm just about to finish IB1 and throughout the whole year I had a very bad teacher which demotivated me a lot, hence I was hardly putting effort on it. Now, as the end of year one is approaching, he gave me a predicted 4, which is more or less the average I got in the latest tests/exams.

I was wondering if it is worthy to spend my summer working hard on Math to increase my predicted grade which I will get in late November of next year? I am aiming for a 6 or a 7.

If during the summer I can become good enough to get 7s in all the tests between September and November and show good effort, will my teacher predict me a grade as high as a 6 or a 7 considering that I had a 4 throughout all the first year?

PS: I need a good predicted grade because I'm applying for US unis.

Edited by Rasad

If you want to improve your grade to a 6 or 7 and you're on a 4, it's advisable you try improving the grade over the summer. If anything, it'll help you get more comfortable when it comes to the actual exams. 

We don't know if your teacher will increase your grade dependent on your improvement because teachers vary from school to school and country to country. You'll have to talk to them personally and maybe strike a deal with them so you know you can improve your grades with extra work. By deal I mean something like 'If I get x% on the next 3 tests or more, will you increase my predicted grade to a 6 or 7?' Keep in mind that you're asking for them to go from 4 all the way to a 6 or 7 so don't be surprised if they're hesitant. 

• Like 1

Definitely study. Improvement in Maths HL is attained through practice - and the summer break is a great time for doing that. Get stuck into revising textbook questions to consolidate your understanding, and then you can start working through more past paper questions. As to changing predicted grades, that may be harder, but studying will definitely be a benefit rather than a harm. 

A friend of mine had a predicted 4 in HL Math last year, but he basically used his summer to study the entire syllabus and redo just about everything they did in the previous year. It didn't end up changing his predicted, but he ended up with a 6 in the end. 

It might be worth it to focus on your IA, because the way our school works, the only thing that can change your predicted during the summer and in the first few weeks of a school is a killer IA .

Also, if you guys are interested in Math practice over the Summer. I'm organizing a weekly Math study group online via Google+ and boundaries aren't barriers. We'll choose a suitable time zone and everything but this would be awesome for all of us.

• Like 1

Even if you didn't want to improve your grade, I think you should definitely study over the summer. How much depends on how much you want to improve your grade, of course, but doing a bit of math every week is great for anybody - because you lose the habit otherwise. At least that's the way it works for me :P