Olympic Games

Xerox

The soccer competition for me is by far the most ineteresting as superstars like ronaldinho and messi includinig young guns like govinco are in it. Athletics (long distance runnin especially) is also important to me as my countrymen (Ethiopians) are very likely to gain all the medals.

i just finished watching football, Netherlands - US ended up with 2-2, netherlands made goal in like last minute of the extra time ;)

it is fasinating to watch football nowadays as nothing turns out as you expect. (common the netherlands should kick ass, but the good players are playing for their teams, they still have to earn a living) also i watched some swimming, Phelps is really something special would be cool if he made the 8 gold medals.

Also bear in mind that the Netherlands (and all other countries) can only have 3 players over the age of 23, so they wouldn't be able to have all their stars playing for them even if it the clubs were to allow it.

OMG.

did anyone see 'jang miran' from south korea for weightlifting females +75kg?

she was amazing.

in total, she lifted 323 kg.

and broke like 2 world records, and olympic records. wow

i really admire people who can do such things..

Sorry to seem a bit cynical here, but what is so great about weight lifting? It is more than clear to everyone that all the athletes in the sport use hormones to succeed, the question simply seems to be who can use the most hormones without getting caught. Just think about it; in a sport like weight lifting where technology hasn't developed (after all, they're just weights), how is it possible that athletes now lift tens of kilos more than in, say, the 1950s when hormones were not available as doping?

Also bear in mind that the Netherlands (and all other countries) can only have 3 players over the age of 23, so they wouldn't be able to have all their stars playing for them even if it the clubs were to allow it.

Ofcource true, but i must say that even so they could have been much better then USA, when they won the european championship (for people under 23, same team as played at olympics) they were playin as a team, now they didn't. However, i must say they played very well against argentina, to bad argentina won.

Sorry to seem a bit cynical here, but what is so great about weight lifting? It is more than clear to everyone that all the athletes in the sport use hormones to succeed, the question simply seems to be who can use the most hormones without getting caught. Just think about it; in a sport like weight lifting where technology hasn't developed (after all, they're just weights), how is it possible that athletes now lift tens of kilos more than in, say, the 1950s when hormones were not available as doping?

I agree to some point that many use hormones (just see the biking...), however, there are other explainations aswell. In most sports athlets are doing much better then in, say, the 1950s.

Much of this change came through the realization of how the human body works, and how to create the peak preformance that you will see in today sport world.

As for hormons, why does no one even consider that for example phelps might be using something? common he is just "too" good to be true or???

You don't even wanna know what times they had in the 1950s. For 100 meter freestyle (as this is the most popular swimming distance there is) I think it was 55.4 set by Jon Henricks, during the 1956 Summer Olympics (long course). To compare, with that time i would not even qualify for the swedish JUNIOR championships... And even though there is probebly doping in swimming, i think that most changes have to do with other things, like development of training habits, food intake, REST taken between trainings etc (oh yeah and the swimming suits make a small difference but probebly not even close to the almost 10 second difference between now and then.

actually, me too >< The v-ball games are never on when I'm watching :giveheart: lol

DUDE!

did I tell you I attended a vball clinic with a former olympic champion! the guy's a geniuse! he focused on technique technique and technique! seriously he corrected so many of the things I was taught wrong!

anyhoo I watched japan vs US this morning! wow did the japanese get their asses kicked!

most of the US men's team are like 6'8! and the japanese were like 5'9 ish =p no wonder they lost miserably!

I'm so jealous of them =( I wish I was as good as they are!

I also saw the women's gymnastics floor exercise individual event, I think the first chinese girl was SO MUCH better than shawn Johnson! I think she should've been 2nd rather than 3rd! then again I'm not a gymnastics critic so what do I know eh?

I just looked up what events Jordan is participating in, and quess what! NONE! grrr I was so angry when I found out! we should specialize in one sport at least!

haha damn, I want a olympic champion as a coach :giveheart: No fair!! Rawr! Now I'll definately have to make the university team to even be in the same league as u when u start attending McGill lol

I've watched parts of a few men's v-ball games, and to be honest, it was the most boring event I've watched... when one team spikes, it's almost impossible for the other team to get the ball caus the ball's going so fast and there are only 2 ppl to cover the entire court... well, 1 person if u don't count the guy blocking, so basically, there were no rallies... it was almost like hitting practice lol. If only I could hit like they do *sigh*

As for hormons, why does no one even consider that for example phelps might be using something? common he is just "too" good to be true or???

You don't even wanna know what times they had in the 1950s. For 100 meter freestyle (as this is the most popular swimming distance there is) I think it was 55.4 set by Jon Henricks, during the 1956 Summer Olympics (long course). To compare, with that time i would not even qualify for the swedish JUNIOR championships... And even though there is probebly doping in swimming, i think that most changes have to do with other things, like development of training habits, food intake, REST taken between trainings etc (oh yeah and the swimming suits make a small difference but probebly not even close to the almost 10 second difference between now and then.

A good question, something I have also pondered. However, the main reason for improving times in swimming is undeniably the new swimsuits they have- apparently they slide a lot better when underwater. Another reason for me not to question question Phelps was that there haven't really been cases of doping uncovered in swimming, even though they get tested a lot too. However, it is strange that Phelps' chin has grown remarkably in the last few years, this is usually considered as a sign of taking hormones...

How do you notice if their CHIN grows????

Anyway I'm sick of Olympics. Seriously. Thank god the swimming is over because the channels here that show the Olympics seem to be obsessed with swimming and so everytime I turned it on it was swimming. Or water polo. Now that swimming is over they'd switched to athletics which I don't particularly like watching. What is funny is that there's a facebook group complaing about Olympics broadcast here. http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php#/grou...5281&ref=nf

The gymnastics was good though.