Learn language on my own, then take it ab inito?

I`m starting IB in a little over a year and I was wondering if it was a good idea to spend my free time learning a new language, and then take it ab inito. I would just pretend I have never studied the language before, and then BOOM! on the test I would get a 7, I would probably be ahead of the class for 6 months or something, at least. I just think it would be a good idea to lighten the heavy workload of IB a little bit.

Would this even work?

"The language ab initio course is a language acquisition course for students with little or no experience of the language." (copied from the IBO web site)

If you have no formal qualifications, you should be able to take a language at ab initio, although it might be a bit boring to re-learn everything from scratch. I can understand you want to lighten the workload, but I'm not sure ab initio is that hard to begin with - it's supposed to be for people who have never studied the language before, after all. Of course, it'd still be nice to know some of the language (what language is it you want to take?), but maybe don't spend too much time trying to learn it :P You'll still have to do assignments, only the classes would be easier. So start learning now if you want, but don't stress it too much :)