Tell me your Group 4 stories

MARemon

I'm interested in hearing your crazy stories about the Group 4 Project. Did you have a group member who bailed? Uncooperative team? What you did? Anything goes really.

My Group 4 experience was pretty stressful for me. I'm in HL Bio and the rest of my group consisted of 2 SL Bio kids and one Chem kid (so not much variety and NO PHYSICS because we were the last group formed). So I was essentially forced to do the physics part of it since no one else had a decent confidence in it. The chem kid is a huge creep and did hardly any work and turned it his part on the last possible day -__- We couldn't of a good topic so we did the aerodynamic comparison of birds and bats which was boring as hell. Overall it was disjointed, but we graded each other lightly.

• Like 1

Guest Marioti

I thought mine was pretty bad. I'm chem HL and we had another chem HL and a Physics HL

Well basically the other Chem HL wanted to do everything his way and kept changing everything, and I mean EVERYTHING in the presentation.

It was so frustrating.

Me and my other teammate were freaking out and then when we had about 2 hours left the teacher told us that what we were doing wasn't good which was exactly what we had told the other chem HL student.

Basically I had to finish everything quickly in order for us to get at decent grade because they didn't want to do anything

>.>

Thank god its over

---

Oh wow you had 3 bio and 1 chem? big group haha

Group 4 wasn't really a big issue at my school, more of something you do for completion.

I got a group of a few other kids, some of which were in biology, me in chemistry, and one kid who took both. Our year's theme was "ice" so the entire grade got to go to an ice skating rink. Ideally this was a time to do experiments but no one really did one except for like two groups who were doing something with like bacteria and another doing stopping times on ice. So I just skated with friends. Then when we got back to school we did our experiment the following day. I believe our experiment was something with like freezing points of various liquids and how we could lower/raise them. So we tested that after school, but one guy never showed up.

I had to put our poster together. The guy who didn't show up got stuck doing the conclusion, which was the easiest part. He sent it to me at like one in the morning the night before the poster was due. Luckily the rest of it was done by then, so all I had to do was glue it on. Then we presented it at like a Group 4 project presentation night, and everyone passed.

Mine was me from HL Physics (I do HL Chem too), an SL Chem student, an SL Bio student and a Sports Science member. And yeah the chem student completely bailed i was so pissed haha. The bio student is a little weird, she's sorta excluded in school so I didn't know her that much, and the sports science kid well jammed to music throughout. Quite the group 4. But we ended up well :D We all got 6's besides the one who bailed

• 3 weeks later...

My group 4 consisted of myself (HL Chem), an SL Chem student, and two Bio kids. One of the Bio kids completely bailed throughout the entire decision-making process, so essentially the rest of us just told her what to do and when to have it done, and she did end up doing it at the last second. We had to do something with the creek behind our school, so we each picked an aspect of water quality to assess (dissolved oxygen, fecal coliform, turbidity, etc.). Once we decided on our topics, we all essentially ignored each other haha, and turned in our individual assignments online. We had to do a power point, and each of us did our own slides and then put it together at the last minute. It was quite haphazard, but it got done.

Our project was about the topic 'air'. Loads of people did rather complicated, science-y stuff, but my group ended up just doing a couple of cool experiments (Magdeburg hemispheres, blowing up a cake to massive size using a vacuum pump etc.). It was pretty fun, not very serious and I got a 6 in the process :D One of the bio-kids wasn't involved much, but she also dropped out of IB a few months later.