Biology HL TZ2 Paper 1 and 2

ibinsouthafrica

So, what did you guys answer on the P1 question about environmental effects of the corn-borer toxin? I think I put something about the soil quality worsening, but I'm really not sure as I got that by cancelling all others out..

i said other iorgnisms could get killed

I also said that other insects could get killed but my friend pointed out that the other wild plants could be eaten. I asked my teacher and she said that the best answer would be the one refering to the biodiversity loss but for me all of them refered up to some point to biodiversity loss..

Exactly, I thought the same thing about biodiversity! But insects getting killed sounds the most logical, as I guess corn-borers feed mainly on corn and wouldn't eat that much of other plants.. I'm guessing

Was the actin one about where it was made? If it was that question I put free ribosomes as the answer (can't remember what letter that was).

II know that some (quite big) part of my classmate chose endoplasmic reticulum (proteins for exocytosis) but some (including me) chose sarcoplasmic reticulum. While one of the best students in our class picked rough endoplasmic reticulum pointing that actin is a fibrous protein so i has mainly secondary sturcture and does not need any further modification so it will be just synthesised and then exocitosised. Anyway I'm confused with this question...

Guest Cshum327

Was the actin one about where it was made? If it was that question I put free ribosomes as the answer (can't remember what letter that was).

II know that some (quite big) part of my classmate chose endoplasmic reticulum (proteins for exocytosis) but some (including me) chose sarcoplasmic reticulum. While one of the best students in our class picked rough endoplasmic reticulum pointing that actin is a fibrous protein so i has mainly secondary sturcture and does not need any further modification so it will be just synthesised and then exocitosised. Anyway I'm confused with this question...

I chose sarcoplasmic reticulum too cuz I think I read on ib.bioninja before that the muscle fibres have this layer called the sarcoplasmic reticulum instead of the endoplasmic reticulum

• Like 1

What about that electron micrograph, to label X, it was really hard to see... looked like it was pointing to the spaces in between. I said it was ribosomes on the RER

i said it was the RER itself, now you're making me doubt my answer :o

It's most definitely rER because the source of the picture was /RoughER.gif

That is TZ1, I put C as well, although it was pointing to the descending limb I imagine that they meant the loop of henle in general, which does increase the solute concentration in the tissues of the medulla :) I'm pretty confident this is correct, considering A was the glomerulus and that doesn't really fit as an answer!

Thanks!! I honestly hate diagrams because I am the most un-visual person ever ha ha, but I still think I have a decent shot at a good grade, most of the questions I didn't know I was able to narrow down to 2 options giving me a 50-50 chance!

I chose sarcoplasmic reticulum too cuz I think I read on ib.bioninja before that the muscle fibres have this layer called the sarcoplasmic reticulum instead of the endoplasmic reticulum

I thought that sarcoplasmic reticulum mainly functions in storage of calcium ions but it's a good point though.

That is TZ1, I put C as well, although it was pointing to the descending limb I imagine that they meant the loop of henle in general, which does increase the solute concentration in the tissues of the medulla :) I'm pretty confident this is correct, considering A was the glomerulus and that doesn't really fit as an answer!

Thanks!! I honestly hate diagrams because I am the most un-visual person ever ha ha, but I still think I have a decent shot at a good grade, most of the questions I didn't know I was able to narrow down to 2 options giving me a 50-50 chance!

I'm sure you did awesome! :)

I thought that sarcoplasmic reticulum mainly functions in storage of calcium ions but it's a good point though.

I just checked for muscle cell structure and surprisingly in the muscle cells there are no endoplamis reticulums or golgi apparatuses so I think it is narrowed down only to sarcoplasmic reticulum..

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the sacroplasmic reticulum carries out protein synthesis

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the sacroplasmic reticulum carries out protein synthesis

I agree. And also, isn't is possible for other cells than muscle cells to produce actin for use within the muscle? Because in that case, endoplasmic reticulum sounds reasonable :hmmm:

I just checked for muscle cell structure and surprisingly in the muscle cells there are no endoplamis reticulums or golgi apparatuses so I think it is narrowed down only to sarcoplasmic reticulum..

I guess you're right, my books says "around each myofibril is a special type of endoplasmic reticulum, called sarcoplasmic reticulum", so it's analogous.

Edited by CaptainCook

I agree. And also, isn't is possible for other cells than muscle cells to produce actin for use within the muscle? Because in that case, endoplasmic reticulum sounds reasonable :hmmm:

Well, muscles cells are excpetion from the cell theory because they have multiple nuclei within one cell so I think it would be very difficult to synthesis such specific protein outsde the muscles. Plus the fact that actin is a monomere and undergoes polymerisation (normally it is globular protein but after polymerisation it becomes fibrous) after protein sythesis is quite an argument for sarcoplasmic reticulum.

• Like 1

what was the answer to the question about this person who can feel but cant move their legs? i think i said part III was damaged

yeah same, if they can feel it then the sensory neuron from their skin won't be affected, but the motor neuron to the muscle is the one damaged because they can't move their leg

I thought Papers 1 and 2 (TZ2) were quite easy, so much SL stuff on paper 2! I can't believe they asked 2 variants of "calculate magnification". One thing I definitely got wrong was the Actin one, where is that produced?

OMG i couldn't calculate it XD somehow i got a magnification of x 3,650,000 XD and for the measurement of the nucleus i got 8.6 micro meters. oh i put sarcoplasmic reticulum for actin production

• Like 1