Biology SL - Papers [1] [2] - Discussion!

UCL14May

I agree with ib nerdcando.

The SL paper 1 and 2 for TZ1 was surprisingly easy for the bio kids in our school. The section b questions were like a gift!

What kind if questions did you get, just out of interest?

Well for section B, I did a) draw and label a structure of membrane, b) compare prokaryotes and eukaryotes, and c) explain the process of transporting proteins in vesicles. Crazy right?! And as for section A, the data analysis was about the effect of trout on tadpoles and frogs. It was pretty easy, but some fuzzy questions I have to say... There was barely any questions from topic 5 content at all in paper 2, which was amazing because it's not my favourite topic.

Paper 1 had some tricky questions but was pretty easy in general.

Seriously though. I am going to protest. I cannot help but make a big deal out of this :omg:

Questions such as compare prokaryotes and eukaryotes is something that I would expect.

The easiest one that we had in Section B (in my opinion) was to draw the structure of DNA... and talk about stem cells.

I wonder what happens if TZ1 did better as a whole. Does everyone get lower boundaries?

I found the table with the gentics question kinda tough why did we have to fill the ratios in two sqaures!!

Right?! I got the ratios but the table confused me so much!

I found it really annoying that most questions related to the ecology and evolution chapter. I did really well on my mock exam and found it really easy so the actual exam felt sort of like a punch in the face.

• Like 1

Seriously though. I am going to protest. I cannot help but make a big deal out of this :omg:

Questions such as compare prokaryotes and eukaryotes is something that I would expect.

The easiest one that we had in Section B (in my opinion) was to draw the structure of DNA... and talk about stem cells.

I wonder what happens if TZ1 did better as a whole. Does everyone get lower boundaries?

I agree. I did question 5 on tz2 and found the last question about genetic modification very difficult! I hope that the grade boundaries are different for both tz1 and tz2, but I'm not sure

What was it with the TZ2 P2 this year?! there were so many image-based questions, and I screwed up some of them lmao. At least they were mostly one-mark ones.

Pretty sure it's a rER btw- 95% of the kids in my year at both HL and SL wrote that answer. (was in the source link if you looked carefully, apparently)

What was up with the ratio table thing? It threw me for a loop, I've never seen that type of question before. I put 1:3 for all of them lmao u______u;;;

P1 was ok, but I was kinda chanting "25+% chance for a right answer" throughout the exam mentally, so I'm just hoping for a good score...

Edited by crimson.threads

Yeah that's what I put too. Ouf!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it true that to get a 7 in Paper 1 we can only have 2-3 questions wrong? Does anyone know?

you can get up to 5 mistakes. If the 7 is an 81 then divide any mark you want by 30 (according to paper1) then multiply it by 100, if the outcome is more than 81 then it's a 7
No, this is not the way you use! Paper one worth 20% from 7(for HL students), so for example if u got 30/40, you need to divide by 40, then multiple by 20! To get the percentage from 20%. For paper two, out of 95, u need to change if to (36)%.

What about part (b) to magnification where you have to state the answer in µm?

I did something like (3.5cm ÷ 1.1cm) × 2µm = 6.36µm

Or maybe not 3.5, I don't remember what it was exactly, but the idea is that I divided the diameter I measured by the length of that bold line in the bottom that I also measured, and then multiplied by 2 because below the line it said 2µm.

Or maybe not 3.5, I don't remember what it was exactly, but the idea is that I divided the diameter I measured by the length of that bold line in the bottom that I also measured, and then multiplied by 2 because below the line it said 2µm.

I measured the diameter as 43mm, and then since the scale bar was 12mm (i think) for 2um then 6mm must be 1um, so I divided 43 by 6 to get the number of um which was 7.2... But i'm not so confident.

Yeah that was the correct way to do it. The diameter was 4.2cm; so you got 7.63636363µm right?

Yeah that was the correct way to do it. The diameter was 4.2cm; so you got 7.63636363µm right?

Yes that seems more accurate. I might have gotten 4.3cm, I don't remember, but hopefully they give some uncertainty leeway.

Yes that seems more accurate. I might have gotten 4.3cm, I don't remember, but hopefully they give some uncertainty leeway.

Pretty sure they will. Seems like most people got either 4.3 or 4.2cm...

What did everyone get for the ratios? Seemed like such a strange way of answering it. Also I found some of the paper 1 questions so ambiguous, like the one about the environmentalists??

I wrote 25% for each box. Since the ratio was 1:4 for each possible phenotype.

What did everyone get for the ratios? Seemed like such a strange way of answering it. Also I found some of the paper 1 questions so ambiguous, like the one about the environmentalists??

For environmentalists on Paper 1 MCQ I said (A). I was thinking between A and D.

Something about damaging corn? Or those organisms harming other plants...

Edited by LeonieIB