Biology SL - Papers [1] [2] - Discussion!

UCL14May

On paper 2, it asked to identify a certain structure and its purpose (referring to a microscopic image scan). I was not sure and said it was a cell wall. What was it actually?

There are so many questions I want to ask but don't want to spam the thread. We need a chat group you guys!

It was the RER (rough endoplasmic reticulum), because you could see blurry ribosomes attached on its walls.

I got a mag value of x5500 (the length of that scale bar was 11mm, so thats why). I hated that microscale picture, which I got wrong :/ It was the rER, and apparently it said so in the link of the source underneath the picture... I thought it was the Golgi apparatus

I agree, the data base question was tough. But I actually think Section B was not too bad, I did the last one on blood glucose and energy in the trophic levels

Also, on P1, the question on repolarization and sodium potassium, what was the answer? I took C (when it was in the process of going down, but I am not sure)

When the line is going up, that's depolarization, going down is repolarization. But wasn't the question asking about returning to resting potential? Oh gosh maybe I misread it D:

I got D because I think it returned to the resting potential after repolarisation

I took D as well (actually revised that section right before the exam, so I am 99% sure it is correct) and I said that it was an endoplasmic reticulum, but it was really confusing. Especially since rER are usually close to the nucleus, but it was next to a mitochondria in the picture.

It was an RER, it said so in the image credit, I didn't find the paper too bad as a whole, but i'm really bad at judging such things.

On paper 2, it asked to identify a certain structure and its purpose (referring to a microscopic image scan). I was not sure and said it was a cell wall. What was it actually?

There are so many questions I want to ask but don't want to spam the thread. We need a chat group you guys!

It was the RER (rough endoplasmic reticulum), because you could see blurry ribosomes attached on its walls.

I got a mag value of x5500 (the length of that scale bar was 11mm, so thats why). I hated that microscale picture, which I got wrong :/ It was the rER, and apparently it said so in the link of the source underneath the picture... I thought it was the Golgi apparatus

I agree, the data base question was tough. But I actually think Section B was not too bad, I did the last one on blood glucose and energy in the trophic levels

Also, on P1, the question on repolarization and sodium potassium, what was the answer? I took C (when it was in the process of going down, but I am not sure)

When the line is going up, that's depolarization, going down is repolarization. But wasn't the question asking about returning to resting potential? Oh gosh maybe I misread it D:

Yeahh, I'm sorry! It was actually D. The question asked when it reestablished the gradient.

What did everyone get for the ratios? Seemed like such a strange way of answering it. Also I found some of the paper 1 questions so ambiguous, like the one about the environmentalists??

For environmentalists on Paper 1 MCQ I said (A). I was thinking between A and D.

Something about damaging corn? Or those organisms harming other plants...

It was D i think, that other insects who are integral in ecosystem are also harmed. Something along those lines.

• 1 month later...