Action Ideas?

I'm trying to get CAS hours done, and can't figure out what to do for my action hours (I'm not a very athletic person). Do you have any ideas on easy things I can do? I'm doing yoga for some (approx. 21 hours), but am stuck on ideas for others.

Thanks!

Running is cheap (you need shoes and a place to go) and qualifies.

Weightlifting is nice and needs less cardiovascular endurance.

Obviously, you know any sport would count, but with the running idea, some goals could be to participate in a 5k or something along those lines.

Does action have to be exercise? From what I've understood action just means you go out and do something, like I went to a cultural fair and am a member of JWAC, both of which count for action.

That hasn't been the way my CAS director has described it. From a quick search, JWAC sounds more like creativity, and going to a cultural fair doesn't sound on-going enough to have goals, and thus wouldn't be CAS. Right?

Huh, I'm not sure. I just keep a log of all my events and put pictures/brochures/flyers from the things I did into a folder. And I don't think the events have to be on-going like I got service hours for volunteering at a college night thing and action for participating in science fair.

I am so not an athletic person, and what we did was run a 'jogging group'. Essentially, it was several like-minded students walking very slowly whilst talking and taking photographs/videos of each other for 30 minutes every week. It depends on your supervisor really though on how lenient they are in allowing certain activities.

• 3 months later...

Every school uses different rules for CAS.

One thing some peers of mine at school did for Action (they weren't the Action-y types) was to make an early morning jogging group. Except nobody woke up to go jogging early morning. There were like 7-8 kids in this group and they all lived near to each other. One kid's dad was the assigned 'supervisor' and he signed off on the Action activity and these kids got their Action requirement fulfilled without actually doing anything.

Edited by Erudite

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What about teaching dancing to students from other elementary schools ? Does that count for action ? Or theater ? (that probably goes to creativity, but I don't know)

if you show that you are constantly dancing as well....that could count as action + service+creativity. 

If you teach to other students for free, thats a service! It's creativity if you are not simply doing the same dance steps as what someone else made up (like teacher them the macerona (can't spell sorry)... because everyone knows that anyway). 

Why not create a dance, either with the elementay school or with a group of friends and then performe it somewhere? If you are actually in the dance...and rehearse etc, then it definitely counts as action. In fact that's pretty much one of my CAS projects! 

Edited by IBfreakingout!

It depends on your CAS coordinator. There's no set rules for what counts as action or not. It's all dependent on how strict your CAS coordinator wants to be. For instance, my CAS coordinator would definitely allow teaching dancing as an action activity, but a different school's CAS coordinator might not. Just ask your CAS coordinator, because it is ultimately them who have the final say.