maths studes-good/bad for uni?

laura.alfonsi

it is quite obvious that showing up to a uni doing maths studies instead of maths SL/HL isnt very good, but since im not too fond of maths (at all hahahaha) i would prefer to take maths studies as i know for sure that HL/SL will be too challenging for me. i will either start at SL and drop to maths studies or do maths studies directly. the only thing is that im thinking of taking the buisness/economics route for uni, mixed with some languages and psychology which could take me to advertising or something later in life.. im not quite sure of what i'll do so these are just ideas. i wanted to know if maths studies is a subject you guys would recommend to take if i am not too good at maths but aim to go with the buisness/economics route.

thank you in advance!!

Nowadays, unis prefer a better maths student (ex: one that took Maths HL) over a student who takes just an econ class, the main argument being that business and economics will require you to solve problems (in real life) and maths more or less shows your ability to do so (econ is really just theory).

• Like 2

If you want to study Business or Economics at university, Maths SL is a must. Although Maths HL would be very good to have. So I think you should start with Maths SL, and if it gets really tough you can always drop it to studies if you want to :)

Edit: A friend of mine is in the Maths studies class and I looked through his maths studies papers and all the content was a piece of cake, at least in that's what I think about it.

Edited by Lynxarin
  • Like 2

If you want to do Economics you need to know quite a bit of math in my opinion. HL Math will not be required for all universities but at least you should take Math SL. Now instead of taking our word for it be sure look at the entry requirements and other details for the specific university you want to study in. In many universities it will say "HL Math required" or "math studies not acceptable". Also before you take Math SL maybe just look a few video tutorials online to judge the difficulty of the course.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Maths studies is definitely a much easier route, it will also give you more time to focus in your other subjects. However you need to be really attentive to the requirements of possible universities that you plan on applying to. Many universities do not accept maths studies unless you are going into a humanity based course, particularly if you want to go down a business path. However in saying this if you find SL maths too challenging then unfortunately you may need to rethink the university course you want to dedicate the rest of your life too. As my current ib coordinator has unfortunately tormented us with the fact that if you find something like SL maths too difficult then you should strongly consider changing the course of what you want to do, or you will end up struggling in a career for the rest of your life. I wish you the best of luck, i would advise starting off in Maths SL and if you find it too difficult then i would strongly advise that you move to studies (This is what i did :D )

• Like 1