How to answer psychology questions?

Alwaysanexttime

I just wanted to ask, how would I go about answering a question like 'Discuss the use of technology in investigating cognitive processes'? Technology would be brain-imaging technology and cognitive processes would be memory, but i'm unsure how to actually discuss this question. I don't know how I would use my studies effectively. The studies that I would use would be Draganski (2004), Wager et al (2008) and Maguire (2000).

In this question would I be mainly concentrating on the strengths or weaknesses of using brain-imaging technology?

Thanks.

Edited by Alwaysanexttime

If the learning outcome is ''evaluate'' then you would concentrate on the strengths or weaknesses.

If this is a long essay then you would write about 1000-1200 words, if it's a short essay you wouldnt write much more than 600-700.

What you would do is you would choose two or three brain imaging technologies e.g Magnetic Resonance Imaging and the Computed tomography scans.

For a long essay you would introduce the scans, then you would start a new paragraph and talk about MRI's and mention a study and explain how memories are investigated using MRI scans. Then write a paragraph about CT scans, mention a study and explain how memories can be investigated using CT scans. Then write a paragraph comparing MRI's with CT scans. Then write your conclusion, summarizing your points but try not to repeat yourself.

You don't have to follow this format, but you can. What I used to do was memorize the textbook, then just regurgitate all the information I remembered relevant to the question. For a long essay you need to make 22 valid points to get a perfect score, which can be hard. You won't really have much time to decide how you are going to organize your answer during exams, the information just has to flow out of you naturally. In the beginning of the exam you should jot down the information that first comes to mind (especially studies you remember), so you don't forget them during the middle of the essay. Try to make really clear points and try to keep a red thread flowing through the essay. Nice transitions are always nice as well. Remember to define terms and the brain imaging technology. Explain exactly what an MRI is and why it does what it does, of course you can mention its limitations and advantages but that is more for a different learning outcome (such as Evaluate the different brain imaging technologies available) or whatever. Practise makes perfect, and please for the love of god, memorize the principles for each level of analysis. You will thank yourself later.

State how the use of technology helped the researchers in achieving their aim related to cognitive level of analysis.
Mention 3 studies in separate paragraphs and show how the technology helped the researchers.
You don't have to necessarily talk of weaknesses within the technology, but make sure to mention strengths.
For example, the use of technology will reduce researcher bias.
You don't really have to write a separate paragraph for the technology, especially for 22 pt, because you could be pushed for time.
I wrote one or two sentences (definitions of technology), and that was fine.
And don't do triangulation of sources, because it does not make any sense.

p.s. 22 pt is not really hard if you grasp the concept. You don't have to mention 22 points..;;; 22 points are just grading scale, much
like TOK essay, World Lit, et cetera.

Edited by Ryoika

Ok take the maguire 2000 taxi driver study for example, you start explaining the study in as much detail as you can remember, mention the hippo campus and then explain the FMRI and how they used it in the study - Explaining = Discussing. Don't focus on strengths or weaknesses unless you are asked to evaluate but if you get desperate and can't think of anything else you can mention it. You are using the study effectively by explaining it in detail and discussing how brain imaging technology was used to investigate memory. It's very simple really.

My psychology teacher during IB has taught psychology for years and years, and was also an IB coordinator at one point and an IB examiner. She gave us mock exams numerous times throughout each semester. When she went over our essays she would make a little tick for every valid point you made, and usually if you received 16 ticks you got 16/22 for that essay. Of course other things play into the grading scale but I would still focus on making the necessary points - At least that is what I did and my psychology examiners must have liked it since I got 40/46 for P1 and 40/44 for P2. Be careful not to mix the information you need to use for P3 with P1 and P2, although it may be relevant you may also be wasting precious time needed to answer the question.