french Ab Initio

I don't think you'd be allowed to do Ab Initio actually; the course is designed for beginners, essentially people who have never formally learned French before. I think you'd be more likely to be placed in French B. If you are allowed to take French Ab Initio despite already having taken French before, I don't think you'll struggle incredibly, I think a lot of what you've studied before will come up and will be studied at depth. Of course, I do French B not Ab Initio so I'm not an expert on the more detailed parts of the course. I don't think you'd struggle in it however.

• Like 1

Ab initio doesn't look bad on University applications. Picking up a language from scratch is, after all, equally as challenging as improving a language you already know :P

In your case it's a bit of a cop out because you do already know a decent amount of the language, but the Universities probably won't realise this unless you tell them somehow and so you'll get the credit as if you'd learnt it from nothing. Which other people doing ab initio may feel somewhat bitter about, but until the day the IB actually crack down on the rules, people will continue to take an inappropriate level of language in order to achieve a higher grade.

You have been doing french for two years! Ab initio is for complete beginners. Anyways, you should check if your school will allow you to take it. But even as a beginner who has not learned french before I would say it's a very easy class. And with two years you are pretty much guaranteed a 7 if you just memorize the vocab and verb conjugations. But I hear French B SL is hard.