Doing HL Math

I am an MYP5 student and I want to do HL Math next year. I am quite good at maths and while I know it will be very difficult I am pretty sure I can cope. Last year my MYP4 math class was divided into higher level and standard level as well however this year it is all mixed and the class tends to accommodate to the lowest level students and I think I am not learning what I need to know for next year if I will do HL Math. I was wondering what I need to learn so I can do this by myself.

This is what I already know:

-Basic logarithms

-Basic differentiation

-Trigonometry up to the sine and cosine rule

-Rearranging simultaneous equations

-Matrices and their inverse

I am quite good at algebra but not as good in geometry, so can anyone tell me what else I need to learn?

Thank you

I personally don't think you actually need to do further practice, since the IB is a two year course you have plenty of time to prepare for the final exams. That said, there's nothing wrong with doing extra if you wish, as it will certainly be beneficial.

In terms of what to do, I think it's mostly important to practice harder problems if you can find any. For me that was the biggest jump when moving from MYP to IB, even with familiar topics. I you prefer looking at learning additional topics however, I suppose further trig would be useful (pythagorean identity, unit circle, double angle formulae, etc), along with functions and calculus which tend to come up often.

• Like 1

I am an MYP5 student and I want to do HL Math next year. I am quite good at maths and while I know it will be very difficult I am pretty sure I can cope. Last year my MYP4 math class was divided into higher level and standard level as well however this year it is all mixed and the class tends to accommodate to the lowest level students and I think I am not learning what I need to know for next year if I will do HL Math. I was wondering what I need to learn so I can do this by myself.

This is what I already know:

-Basic logarithms

-Basic differentiation

-Trigonometry up to the sine and cosine rule

-Rearranging simultaneous equations

-Matrices and their inverse

I am quite good at algebra but not as good in geometry, so can anyone tell me what else I need to learn?

Thank you

Hey!

You don't need to know matrices and their inverses anymore, that's taken out of the syllabus. You seem to be in really good shape though!

• 3 weeks later...