ahh the drama..the competition

missrunway

Ohhh The DRAMA... Well first of all I lie Betwen second and third Which I HATEEEE It sucks to be third or second!! So I remmerb not so long ago we had the Math Portfolio and The 2nd place person ( which btw has a Account here so Crap) didnt give her portfolio even to her best friend and it was not even nearly finshed but she has the right to.. Then My Portfolio was nearly done and the teacher was going through it and this kid stood right behind the teacher and stared at my portfolio and was copying and writing stuff of of it so i shouted in a loud voice HEYYYY How are you and then he gor frightened and i looked at him and gave him a "stare" and he understood get the hell away from my Porfolio! Oh and This otehr kid who isnt so bad but literally studies at least 7 hours a day and isnt in the top 7 !! he copied literally copied at least 3 pages from each one from my class mates except me (of course)

Oh yeah we had LOADS of cheating on our first portfolio assignment. We had a sub during the time it was assigned so people were blatantly cheating off one another.

But, the most drama filled stuff has been 1) people lying about college/scholarship application deadlines 2) getting parents to coerce teachers into changing grades from a B to an A so that their child's GPA and thus class rank wouldn't be affected and 3) people cheated on a test because there was a sub that day. Well then one girl told the teacher and everyone found out she told him on purpose to get the kids in trouble. As retaliation, the kids in the class left banana peels on her desk because she was afraid of bananas…. A crazy bunch of kids.

acutally theres not much competition in our classrooms...simply becuase theres not a restricted number of 7's

unlike the schools other system (OP - queenslanders only) where the number of OP 1's is restricted (certain schools get a certain number) so it gets pretty dam competitive there.

for us, our primary concern is only plagiarism...but even then its not major

But, the most drama filled stuff has been 1) people lying about college/scholarship application deadlines 2) getting parents to coerce teachers into changing grades from a B to an A so that their child's GPA and thus class rank wouldn't be affected and 3) people cheated on a test because there was a sub that day. Well then one girl told the teacher and everyone found out she told him on purpose to get the kids in trouble. As retaliation, the kids in the class left banana peels on her desk because she was afraid of bananas…. A crazy bunch of kids.

Lying about college application deadlines? God that's so mean, imagine if someone didn't get into college at all because of that. We all applied to the UK, so everyone was encouraging each other to send their application early. The 2 people who applied to the US had to deal with it on their own, since no one else knew about the procedure.

Someone who's afraid of bananas? Hahaha :yes:

People in my school always cheat on tests, they write notes on slips of paper and put them into their pencil cases to read. Which to me makes no sense. Ok, so you'll pass this exam or test. But you're just cheating yourself into thinking you don't have to study. And are you really going to try to cheat in the final exams, when your entire diploma could be declared null?

If there is one thing i hate its those kids who dont work hard and one day before the exam/Deadline ask for your help

I agree, if people can't be bothered to study themselves then it's their loss. It's different if I know that the person studied, and then doesn't get a small thing. But asking me to explain the most important points 5 minutes before an exam, when I'm cramming myself? No.

Lying about college application deadlines? God that's so mean, imagine if someone didn't get into college at all because of that. We all applied to the UK, so everyone was encouraging each other to send their application early. The 2 people who applied to the US had to deal with it on their own, since no one else knew about the procedure.

Someone who's afraid of bananas? Hahaha :D

People in my school always cheat on tests, they write notes on slips of paper and put them into their pencil cases to read. Which to me makes no sense. Ok, so you'll pass this exam or test. But you're just cheating yourself into thinking you don't have to study. And are you really going to try to cheat in the final exams, when your entire diploma could be declared null?

I agree, if people can't be bothered to study themselves then it's their loss. It's different if I know that the person studied, and then doesn't get a small thing. But asking me to explain the most important points 5 minutes before an exam, when I'm cramming myself? No.

Yep, bananas ;)

But I really do believe that cheating and procrastination are problems that are hurting the IB population. It seems no one is willing to put in the effort to learn anymore so they rely on the few honest people who do their work and mooch off of them. :ashika: Or just take the easy way out and cheat, but then have anxiety attacks because they're unprepared for exams.

Yep, bananas ;)

But I really do believe that cheating and procrastination are problems that are hurting the IB population. It seems no one is willing to put in the effort to learn anymore so they rely on the few honest people who do their work and mooch off of them. :ashika: Or just take the easy way out and cheat, but then have anxiety attacks because they're unprepared for exams.

One senior two years ago would literally have a panic attack before and after each exam. It wasn't because he hadn't studied though, he was just the type of guy who was prone to them. He had one right before graduation.

One of my classmates got caught plagiarising by the TOK teacher. She just went to an essay website and copied off the entire essay. She was warned, but nothing happened to her. Her mother had actually encouraged her to copy the essay, since it was late at night and she didn't have time to write her own :D

Hmmm.... no real drama here, because our ib grade is rather medium-sized (around 30 people) so everyone is basically friends with each other. Of course, there are some mutual rivalries going on and so forth, but everybody helps each other if it is needed. But then, there is this one person who is extremely competitive (who is currently second in the class, academically I suppose), and he is comparing himself to everybody (and gets very, very pissed off if he is not the first and openly laughs at other people if they have gotten lower grades than him); but he would be the special case, I would say.

Else, we really care for us (and to be honest, nowadays, 80% of the people I see are my fellow ibers - we even have our own leisure room and so on), so no big drama there.

I don't quite know how to describe competition at my school. My school is in Stockton, CA which is considered one of the worst cities in the United States and at my high school the percent of people who even graduate is less than seven percent.

Having said that, the majority of students at my school and in the IB program are not competitive at all.

Yet, there were cases (more in MYP when there were more students in the program) where people were fiercely competitive. Demands were made of the teacher everyday to report the percentages of the top students in the class to see who had the better grade.

Now that our Diploma Program has narrowed down the group to a mere 32 students, there is not as much competition but there are tensions that start building up between people. I think this comes from being such a small class. People start to get on each others nerves.

People always talk to me about other people behind their backs, which makes me scared to think about what is said about me.

IB is extremely competitive my goodness. In our grade there are 20 students doing the diploma programme, and they're all really smart people. Theyre like VULTURES watching your every move, making sure they do better. And you know what - they get me all hyped up to compete too! As if the whole point is to beat out your friends. Whatever, our grade is too nerdy. They all have big expectations. Grrr!